Building the HX2...... Again lol

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Well I decided to build the hx2 again. I'm just going to keep the motor and do a 12" 6 spoke frame, 1800rms 4" dual 2 ohm coil, 9.25" 3 layer nomex progressive spider and a big roll cone. Should be a nice sub, the HX motor is 300 oz so there is plenty of horse powers there. Will post pics, waiting on parts from Lord of Bass. Pics of the 10 I built while we wait lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_124813354.jpg
    IMG_20220530_124813354.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220524_192742426.jpg
    IMG_20220524_192742426.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 25
This is the frame I went with, taller than the HX frame but very similar. I wanted to go with a TI frame but this coil simply does not have the winding length for the amount of excursion the 10" spider will produce. I'm looking to have a solid 20 Xmax with this setup and should be happy for a little while as that's a nice upgrade from a stock HX.

Attachments

• 300-642-bottom.jpg
    300-642-bottom.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 16
this coil simply does not have the winding length for the amount of excursion the 10" spider will produce.
I don't believe that motor has all that much depth either. Rockford used a frame with a rather low landing height on those and 8" spider for a reason.

They're a great 1000W platform but I personally wouldn't try to step too far off the reservation on trying to out-think or out-do the OEM parts. There's been a fair few of those circulating up in my region and they all perform admirably for what they are when they're rebuilt with OEM coils and soft 8" suspension.

I don't believe that motor has all that much depth either. Rockford used a frame with a rather low landing height on those and 8" spider for a reason.

They're a great 1000W platform but I personally wouldn't try to step too far off the reservation on trying to out-think or out-do the OEM parts. There's been a fair few of those circulating up in my region and they all perform admirably for what they are when they're rebuilt with OEM coils and soft 8" suspension.
I had the opportunity to talk with a guy who dealt with PSI on several old school fosgate builds and I am following the lesser of the 2 popular builds. The other uses a custom longer PSI coil with the Ti frame and a quad stack of very stiff 10" progressive spiders.

I wondered what had become of this sub. Did it not meet expectations? IIRC, when you were about to sell it, you heard a noise and decided to take it off the market. Did that play a role in deciding to rebuild?
Yeah I used to much glue on the center cap and it infiltrated inside the coil and was rubbing. The build went great just made a rookie mistake and used medium instead of thick ca glue. I have repaired quite a few subs for friends since then. I know I could just buy a sub but I love these old things lol.

Last edited:
Yeah I used to much glue on the center cap and it infiltrated inside the coil and was rubbing. The build went great just made a rookie mistake and used.medium instead of thick ca glue. I have repaired quite a few subs for friends sense then. I know I could just buy a sub but I love these old things lol.
Good to know these techniques. I have a set of those that need that spider replaced. I have just been too insecure to take on the task, but reading of these experiences goads me to take action.

Last edited:
Good to know these techniques. I have a set of those that need that spider replaced. I have just been too insecure to take on the task, but reading of these experiences goads me to take action.
I can set you up with a stock rebuild kit from LoB if you ever want it, have all the part numbers. It will be better than new.

Would I need to replace everything? I thought of just the spider and maybe the surround.
Please send me the part #s.
Yeah you would need to do a recone imo.
Spider : SKU: GR/ZP084#5
Coil: SKU: VC9434-4-D
Cone: SKU: CN1030RSTX
I was able to save my dust caps, but you can pretty much use which ever one you want. This is for a dual 4ohm 10" build. Your spider is 8.35" so do not get an 8" spider. You have to trim the inside of the spider and the cone to fit a 4" voice coil but I didn't find it that hard with an exacto knife. If your real confident you could try and cut the surround and old spider off and just replace those, but you still have to take everything out of the frame to do that. When I started taking my old sub apart I noticed the voice coil looked burnt in several places not visible while it was assembled.

This is for a dual 4ohm 10" build. Your spider is 8.35" so do not get an 8" spider. You have to trim the inside of the spider and the cone to fit a 4" voice coil but I didn't find it that hard with an exacto knife.
This is what wondered about. So an 8" spider will not seat at the landing. Got it.
When I started taking my old sub apart I noticed the voice coil looked burnt in several places not visible while it was assembled.
I will scrutinize the coils. Thanks for the info. 👍

That's a lofty goal. Please post pics on what everything looks like if you can manage to get any of that off the frame and separated.
I did mull it over and wondered if that small grinder would be able to sand away that joint glue. Now that I saw that the cone/surround combo is only $17, I may just rip it all out. I will try it just for $hits and giggles.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...