Building a Driver

RangerMan
Premium Member

Premium Member
NC
Building you own sub...this one is for BBM, ramos, zane, audiolife, etc. I've been wanting to do this for a while now...just as something to do. Is there a site I need to read up on, or a kit that can help me get started??? Thanks...

I know there is a book out there call the Loudspeaker design, iv been meaning to pick it up for a while but I still havent. Im not sure if this book gets into the dynamics of actually building a woofer. But it would be worth looking into.

Originally posted by Corsica Ranger by ur list of epople are u attempting to insinuate that i am not smart enough or capable of building my own subwoofer?

J
No, I am not smart enought to type everyones name on the forum...LOL

building a woofer is relatively easy....

finding parts for the woofers are not..

IMO... I wouldn't even bother with learning.. you're gonna find very little to build with..

Loyd L.

welp here is my take on the bizz

say you wanted your own driver you designed it on autocad you approach emenence (spell check) and say build this for a substancial price they could or for alot less mix and match what they already have parts wise to make one as close to spec to yours as they could..now it might not look the same but it would share/have alot of the same characteristics as your design..better yet what the actual speaker makers do is build a design and approach the masses of "speaker manufacturers" to see if they want it in next yrs new line up there are 100's of "manufacturers" and only a handful of true producers -talkin other than just glueing their dust cap on it. if your design is really radicle a machine shop could make the basket and motor structure but you would be limited to the vc's availible unless you are a steady freddy windin your own then pray your good enough that it doesnt fall apart. plus if i recall your limited to certain magnets unless you know someone that can machine them ..seems to me it takes special tools to work that brital material......anyhow if you are following what im sayin you'll see how it works unless you have ties to asian "manufacturing facilities" and or know the owner of one (lol) the likely hood of making your own truely unique driver isnt likey unless your willing to dump 15 grand into it back in 97 my distribution company was looking to do this but we had ties to a rather large facility in mylasia (spell check) for 10 g's we got 100 of bout anything we wanted (within reason and not ultra quality) for 20g's we would get roughly 3 times as many woofers.....as the more they make the less total it costs to build each one...now if you wanted it done RIGHT with "true" expertise it would cost hella lot more as a line and if we just talkin 1 or 2 for r and d purposes prolly could spend 5 grand pretty easy on 1 speaker that would sell for 200-350 in a "unique" design.. i might be off a lil in costs (what a company would spend) but then again an individual isnt a company

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.