Build/wiring questions

I am planning on doing a single sub build, likely with the new Alpine Type-R 12. Here is my setup currently that i will be adding on and just looking for some verification about wiring and sizes.

Before you knock, I had great experiences many years back when I first started to get into car audio. I clipped the heck out of a pair of type-r subs, and pretty sure I didn't even wire them correctly, yet they still managed to hold up from the beating. Plus I usually only buy when I get a really good deal.

Current:

HU: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

Front: Alpine SPR-17S

Rear: Alpine SPR-69C

Amp: RF P500X4D

Currently running Cadence 4 Gauge wiring kit.

Now to my future plan. I am adding a single Alpine SWR-12D4 sub in sealed enclosure at 2 ohms. I currently have a RF T500-1BD amp that I just picked up for a good price. I know the amp is 1 ohm stable, but figure 2 ohm power would be enough for me.

My car has a 110 amp alt in it. I plan to run 0 gauge to the trunk and use an isolator for a Kinetic HC600. Now my questions:

I know the big 3 would do nothing but help, but would it be something I would need?

Do I need the second battery if I do the big 3?

If I need a battery, what amp isolator should I look at with my setup?

Should I worry about needing to upgrade my alt?

Would the Cadence WK01 kit be more than enough for my needs, or would I really need a pure

copper run? (i know this is subject to opinion to some, please keep it friendly with facts only)

I am pretty set on going with an alpine sub, and I assume the amp will push out around 500-550rms @ 2ohms, would this be sufficient for the SWR-12D4 or would I be fine with a SWS-12D4?

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
(My opinion and logic follows below - please get other opinions too)

RF T500-1BD will put 400WRMS into 2 ohms.

RF P500X4D will put 250WRMS (total) into your 4-ohm SPRs.

Your entire system can put 650WRMS into your speakers if gains are set properly and volume all the way up. This is only around 55 to 65 amps.

You can probably get by with just the stock ALT & wiring for normal every day listening.

If you think you will be doing a lot of LOUD listening I would upgrade in this order:

1) Big Three

2) High-output alternator

3) Beefier up-front battery

With this system, I do not see why you would ever need a second battery in back - seems overkill.

Your entire system can put 650WRMS into your speakers if gains are set properly and volume all the way up. This is only around 55 to 65 amps.

You can probably get by with just the stock ALT & wiring for normal every day listening.

If you think you will be doing a lot of LOUD listening I would upgrade in this order:

1) Big Three

With this system, I do not see why you would ever need a second battery in back - seems overkill.
I personally would switch 2 and 3, but that's my opinion.

1) Big Three

I would go on the basis of planning higher and expecting less. My birth sheet for the P500X4D was 651 total power. I would rather estimate a system build on ideal conditions just in case. That being the case, I would venture to say estimating 400wrms total from the P500, and 600 from the T500 would put me around 1000wrms. Big 3 and a 0 gauge run of wire to a distro at best?

The big three should be done for almost any application no mater how big or small. That is just basic common sense and should not even need to be said.

Thanks, I will start with the big 3 when I get everything together and see how everything flows.

Also, a quick edit to the model, I actually just realized I got the T500-1bdCP and not the previous model. Just makes the deal I got that much sweeter.

Would anyone see any reason the Cadence WK01 wouldn't be sufficient to a distro of 2x 4gauge wires?

Also, since this amp is rated at 500@2ohms, and a lot of people who have birth sheet ratings around 600, any reason I would not go with a SPR-12D4? Seems to me it would provide a good clean bassline for many years to come.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.