Budgeting Subs vs Speakers

infowarrior45
10+ year member

Hello,

I am in the process of budgeting/building my first car audio system. I need everything except a deck and a wiring kit, both of which I already have installed (Pioneer P7200HD, KnuKonceptz Kolossus). What I am wondering is how much of my money should I spend on the subs instead of speakers.

If have around a $650 budget, how much of this should go towards subs/amp and how much should go for speakers?

For instance, I could spend around $350 and get a pair of Kicker/Alpine/RF, etc subs, box, and amp. This would leave me around $300 to get 4 really nice speakers and a speaker amp. Or, I could spend around $300 just on one sub, which would leave me $350 for a sub box, sub amp, and speakers.

What's going to give me better SQ? Also, components vs full range speakers? This is going into a '98 Jeep Cherokee.

Thanks!

Matt

depends on what your looking for bro... if your wanting an SQ setup, i would say split it down the middle... if your looking for SPL, i would say 75/25

optimus, I have a Pioneer P7200HD deck...it has L/R preouts for the subs....RCA's are already hooked up. As far as a wiring kit, I have the KnuKonceptz Kolossus 4 Gauge wiring kit with a 120 amp fuse. 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

Mast....I guess I am looking for a SQ setup, as long as I still get a nice punch from the system. Any suggestions then on subs/speaker setup for a 50/50 split with $650?

1 sub or 2? how big? Account in cost for an enclosure built to sub specs. Are you amping your door speakers as well? And to keep cost down, I'd stay away from anything JL, rockford, or Kicker... Unless you're buying used. Then I would only really use their amps, unless you get a good used deal on some JL or RF subs.

Are you looking for coaxial or component speakers? The door speakers are probably the easiest part and you could get two pair of decent ones for around $200. But we need those other questions answered first.

Well, I know you need answers to those questions, but I actually have no clue myself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I'm really not sure if I want 1 or 2 subs...it really depends on how loud they get. I would really like to amp my door speakers...I heard it is kind of a "must" if you put money into nice door speakers. Coax or component speakers....I have been wondering the same thing myself! I was thinking of putting components in the front (tweeters would be easy to mount) and coax speakers in the back (tweeters would be a bit of a pain to get in...I have a '98 Jeep XJ)

1 sub or 2? how big? Account in cost for an enclosure built to sub specs. Are you amping your door speakers as well? And to keep cost down, I'd stay away from anything JL, rockford, or Kicker... Unless you're buying used. Then I would only really use their amps, unless you get a good used deal on some JL or RF subs. Are you looking for coaxial or component speakers? The door speakers are probably the easiest part and you could get two pair of decent ones for around $200. But we need those other questions answered first.

Touche sir. I was thinking the same thing as you for speakers. Components up front, and coaxials in the rear. then a 4ch amp for those. And a mono block for the sub. And you're probably going to need another wiring kit for the amp, but we'll see... Do you have an idea how much power you want out of your sub(s)? Or a reference point to something you've heard/seen/used before? And how much trunk space you're willing to give up would be a good start on #/size of subs, as well as ported or sealed enclosure.

The hifonics hifi 12s are great SQL subs. Dong get stupid loud but better than most best buy set ups. Make sure no matter what sub(s) you get to either make or have some make you a good ported box

haha, thanks for catching that. I was about to feel like a jackass for not seeing the 150w part! it is his FIRST build after all...

However, I feel this 5ch would do plenty for him... 800w @1ohm on the sub, and cover the speakers. Heard great things from their amps.

Massive Audio :: Amplifiers :: Nx5 - 5 Channel Amplifier

Amazon.com: Massive Audio Nx5 - A/B Full Range 5 Channel Amplifier 120w x 4 RMS + 800w x 1 ohm: Electronics

So that Amazon link is a hell of a deal. $355 shipped. Leaving $300 for sub(s) and speakers is gonna be tight. It then becomes out of the question when factoring cost of the enclosure...

So, OP would either have to raise the budget/save up... or buy used and could probably fit everything in pretty tight... I've bought everything I have used and certainly don't regret.

IMO, if you do decide to buy everything new... and the 5ch amp is appealing, I'd pick up the amp and new speakers.. then take the left over funds, and save up for your sub and enclosure.

A 5 channel amp is a possibility, just depends on what he wants on the sub stage. If he wants a lower powered substage, it's fine. If he wants something in the 1000w+ range, it's not an option.
Big Belle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Yes, I can answer these questions! My friend is running 2 12" subs at 800 watts each....I'd like to get at least half as loud as that. I definitely want a ported box. Trunk space is not an issue. I have a '98 Jeep Cherokee, and I don't need any cargo space.

As far as used vs new, I'd actually like to buy used. Seems like you can get pretty good cond equipment for decent prices. I'd probably buy the speakers new though.

Touche sir. I was thinking the same thing as you for speakers. Components up front, and coaxials in the rear. then a 4ch amp for those. And a mono block for the sub. And you're probably going to need another wiring kit for the amp, but we'll see... Do you have an idea how much power you want out of your sub(s)? Or a reference point to something you've heard/seen/used before? And how much trunk space you're willing to give up would be a good start on #/size of subs, as well as ported or sealed enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.