Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People on here throw it around like it's funny to call somebody that. If there was that much proof or if any girls would've come forward then he would be in jail. Now, let's let Buck get back to designing boxes. Enough of the bullshitt! Especially on this thread.
This thread is all about boxes and bass and subs and designing and doing ridiculous stuff with subwoofers.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What's with the "fin" in the middle of the port
Not knocking it, just curious
It's bracing. I wouldn't do a brace like that on too small of a port. Why I do that is just to keep the port walls stable and from flexing. The port walls can be hard to brace unlike the sub chamber. Ports have to be fairly exact to get the tuning right and not disturb the airflow in the port. So, doing a port brace like that works well, in some situations. The port opening into the environment is one of the weakest standing walls, because it's only attached on 3 sides. It's silly to me to run a box like that Orion 12's box with 5000 watts and not have any bracing on the port wall, when the rest of the box is beefy. At a certain level, I like to just double some walls up. But, that adds a ton of weight and usually bracing is more effective, from a wood-mass and cost level.

Reactions: Surfer J

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
It's bracing. I wouldn't do a brace like that on too small of a port. Why I do that is just to keep the port walls stable and from flexing. The port walls can be hard to brace unlike the sub chamber. Ports have to be fairly exact to get the tuning right and not disturb the airflow in the port. So, doing a port brace like that works well, in some situations. The port opening into the environment is one of the weakest standing walls, because it's only attached on 3 sides. It's silly to me to run a box like that Orion 12's box with 5000 watts and not have any bracing on the port wall, when the rest of the box is beefy. At a certain level, I like to just double some walls up. But, that adds a ton of weight and usually bracing is more effective, from a wood-mass and cost level.
Have you ever used 1" or 1-½" round wooden dowels to brace port walls?

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Have you ever used 1" or 1-½" round wooden dowels to brace port walls?
Yes, with bigger ports I have, like in flat wall with 2 18's, for example.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Got to do one of my dream boxes, just happened to happen.

8 Sundown SA-8 v2's in a Series 6th order blowthrough (complete cut-through) in a full size pickup truck. Aim is for cleans lows.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
That box is on 4000 watts by the way^^^^. The blowthrough hole is actually huge, it's the full 4 foot width and full box height.

You could inverse mount 8 x-8's in there, the airspace would be plenty enough. Might need to cut out the whole front port and front center wall and just make that a chamber with no loading wall. He may have to do that, we may change the front port up some, the X-8's would do better inverse mounted with more rear airspace, the front subs would hit the front port. Anyways, I'm really excited to see what this box can do.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Hmm can't wait for the picture of my box being done from the box builder :D.
He's behind but catching up. I can't talk to him without hearing a saw or router in the background lol

Reactions: Coolhand20th

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
lol yeah I figured with the move and all! I knew he was going to be behind a bit when doing a huge move like he did.
Oh for sure man. And some of the shop stuff got held up shipping all the way across the country so he had like 2 weeks not being able to do anything. So it's been a journey, but he's a worker.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I've been very slow. Part of it I think is just the economy. Anyways, I'm really slow if you need a design. I'm just chilling at my house, playing on my PC, waiting for a design to do :cool:

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
nowhere
Put up a post at DIYMA buck I'm sure you will get some business there as well. That place is always busy with people looking for quality designs.

Reactions: Buck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 24)

• Ridinhi
  • B
  • Buck
  • S
  • deez283

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds