Buck Box Designs - New Picture Log

I did it to save a little space. Also too, if you're building, and you mess up one chamber, you get more chance for cancellation, vs if everything is grouped together into one airspace. Like if you need 2 cubes and one chamber is 1.0 and one is .95, then there will be some cancellation. But that's very technical and the effect may be minimal. I just design for what's needed in every situation. The box I'm designing now has both independent and a shared chamber. Usually one shared chamber and one shared port is what I generally like for ported. All that matters is that it's designed correctly, really.

Sealed divided chambers vs shared is a bigger deal than ported. Some woofers can be damaged in shared sealed chambers. Going sealed, you can only go so much power up to a point, depends on the woofer. Surrounds can blow out. You also have to be careful how close you put woofers to corners in certain applications. There's been walls where woofers in certain corners blew way more often than others, seemingly due to the pressure increase in the corner. And dividing chambers up with multiple woofers in sealed changes the resonance of the sealed chamber some. Sometimes dividing chambers is about just plain strength, too. You need a big wall there for the power or the size of the box or something to keep the other walls from flexing. There's a lot I take into consideration when I'm designing. I don't get every one perfect, but I try to.

But, you don't shrink the box by 25% for multiple subs like Louisiana said, right?

But, you don't shrink the box by 25% for multiple subs like Louisiana said, right?

Depends on the size of the box. But if you count the space of doing two boxes vs doing one box, all of which would be the same airspace, then the one box with the single chamber is going to take up significantly less room. Even doing a center slot port vs a side slot port can take up a significant amount of room because of the extra port wall. What he's saying, in general, is correct. It takes up less space.

It isn't as efficient and once again as buck said if you screw up one side you end up with noise cancellation and if it isn't designed right then you run into those problems. Easier to do one port. I never saw anyone doing dual ports like that in close to 28 years of car audio especially in and around Chicago which has/had some of the best stuff you could find back then. Just because some people did it or do it doesn't make it correct either.

Let's try to keep his thread on his designs instead of posting all of this kind of stuff.

I asked Buck a box design question. So, you didn't even need to chime in. It's very simple to build a two chamber box if you know your math. My separate chamber box was built 31 years ago and it was very popular and the boxes were strong as helll.

Guarantee Buck has no issues with me posting in here since I talk to him quite often outside of this place. You don't get to tell others when and where they can post. So piss off

He however has said before to you to keep the posts in here on his design pictures.

Depends on the size of the box. But if you count the space of doing two boxes vs doing one box, all of which would be the same airspace, then the one box with the single chamber is going to take up significantly less room. Even doing a center slot port vs a side slot port can take up a significant amount of room because of the extra port wall. What he's saying, in general, is correct. It takes up less space.

I understand. Guys were building one big box with separate chambers with 4" round pvc ports out of each chamber. Thanks for the info. Box building is always evolving.

Let's try to keep his thread on his designs instead of posting all of this kind of stuff.
[/QUOTE]

@Coolhand20th then don't post **** like this aimed at me. I simply asked a professional box builder a technical question about his trade. Peace!

Thanks again Buck!

Wasn't at you was at everyone since he has asked a couple times including you to keep it to his designs. Got a question on box stuff then PM him.

If I was doing what he was doing I would want it all my designs as well so he could show off the kind of work he does since it is top notch.

SO stuff your peace crap...go drink some more

Wasn't at you was at everyone since he has asked a couple times including you to keep it to his designs. Got a question on box stuff then PM him.

If I was doing what he was doing I would want it all my designs as well so he could show off the kind of work he does since it is top notch.

SO stuff your peace crap...go drink some more

I didn't know that you were Buck's security detail. I don't see any problem in asking a professional box builder a technical box building question. I like to learn some of the technical aspects of Car Audio. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Buck!

4th order bandpass blowthrough for 4 Sundown X v2 12's in a big pickup on 6500w. Resin will be used in this box, I am told.

Correct ..separate boxes does cause speaker cancelation...

Yep. The only time I like separate chambers is with sealed boxes. Just had to do with woofers fighting each other and knowing exactly the airspace each sub is getting. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but I like to divide up sealed chambers, if I can. I mean you could imagine the pressure of a box when 4 like 30mm xmax woofer push in and they were all pushing in on one sealed chamber with 6000 watts or whatever. Some subs may not like that amount of sealed pressure.

With sealed boxes, if you have 2 10's right? If you put them in .5 a piece vs 1 cube in a shared chamber, the 1 cube in the shared chamber with resonate a little lower, even though each sub has the same airspace. It just has to do with an overall larger airspace with sealed will cause a lower sealed resonance, vs splitting up the sealed chambers. It's fairly minimal, in most cases I feel like. But what that indicates to me is large single chamber sealed boxes need to be overall smaller than 1 chamber per sub boxes, because the larger sealed chamber clearly acts slightly larger than multiple individual chambers at the same airspace.

You sort of see the same thing with port area and bigger boxes. Bigger ported boxes typically don't need as large of a port as smaller ported boxes, by a little bit. It's just physics. Like a 6 cube 18 box will tend to have a lower port velocity than say a 1 cube ported 10 box if it's the same style woofer and the tuning is the same and the port area is the same. Has nothing to do with the woofer or the Fs of the woofer. Has to do with strictly the box size.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...