Buck Box Designs - New Picture Log

I don't get it either. I like having one sub so I know nothing about chambers. I thought someone else would've explained it by now.

My first "real" box build was 2-12's in the same box, but separate chambers with their own round pvc port in 1989 (I'm old). So, each chamber was exactly the same. I'm not sure that I believe that you can shrink the internal box volume by 25%.

My first "real" box build was 2-12's in the same box, but separate chambers with their own round pvc port in 1989 (I'm old). So, each chamber was exactly the same. I'm not sure that I believe that you can shrink the internal box volume by 25%.
if that's the case then why wouldn't all prefabs come like that. if it's so efficient.

I barely understand single subs so no way I can comprehend that. maybe there's some benefit nobody is telling us about ...

If I have two subs that each want 2 cubes net. Then, I would build the box 4 cubes net. I've never heard to shink the box by 25% for two subs. Hopefully, @Buck will know and explain it. I don’t want to piss him off by posting in his thread either.

If I have two subs that each want 2 cubes net. Then, I would build the box 4 cubes net. I've never heard to shink the box by 25% for two subs. Hopefully, @Buck will know and explain it. I don’t want to piss him off by posting in his thread either.
yeah, I wouldn't want a sabotaged box in the future. I'ma refrain from posts and wait for an expert.
to be fair tho it appears a single chamber is more efficient...

I did it to save a little space. Also too, if you're building, and you mess up one chamber, you get more chance for cancellation, vs if everything is grouped together into one airspace. Like if you need 2 cubes and one chamber is 1.0 and one is .95, then there will be some cancellation. But that's very technical and the effect may be minimal. I just design for what's needed in every situation. The box I'm designing now has both independent and a shared chamber. Usually one shared chamber and one shared port is what I generally like for ported. All that matters is that it's designed correctly, really.

Sealed divided chambers vs shared is a bigger deal than ported. Some woofers can be damaged in shared sealed chambers. Going sealed, you can only go so much power up to a point, depends on the woofer. Surrounds can blow out. You also have to be careful how close you put woofers to corners in certain applications. There's been walls where woofers in certain corners blew way more often than others, seemingly due to the pressure increase in the corner. And dividing chambers up with multiple woofers in sealed changes the resonance of the sealed chamber some. Sometimes dividing chambers is about just plain strength, too. You need a big wall there for the power or the size of the box or something to keep the other walls from flexing. There's a lot I take into consideration when I'm designing. I don't get every one perfect, but I try to.

Because it is called noise cancellation hence why no one does separate boxes anymore. They do it in all one box now.

Guys used to build boxes for two subs in one big box, but the chambers were separated. So, 1/2 of the box held one sub and the other 1/2 of the box held the other sub. It was still one box. So, each chamber had their own port.

Guys used to build boxes for two subs in one big box, but the chambers were separated. So, 1/2 of the box held one sub and the other 1/2 of the box held the other sub. It was still one box. So, each chamber had their own port.
honestly the aesthetic of that bothers me. if I were to ever have multiple subs I'd go with how buck explained it. aesthetically pleasing and efficient..

It isn't as efficient and once again as buck said if you screw up one side you end up with noise cancellation and if it isn't designed right then you run into those problems. Easier to do one port. I never saw anyone doing dual ports like that in close to 28 years of car audio especially in and around Chicago which has/had some of the best stuff you could find back then. Just because some people did it or do it doesn't make it correct either.

Let's try to keep his thread on his designs instead of posting all of this kind of stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...