BRZ front firing design

Participant count
  • Participant list

Swany0095

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello! New here, but have been installing basic systems and minor custom work for over a decade(for friends, far from professional) but I know my way around.

I just bought myself a new weekend fun car and it just happens to have the worst factory system I've ever heard. I have already replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood DMX9707S.

Next will be a 4 channel amp and speakers.

I will be getting a rear seat delete for my car as it's laughable anyway specifically to make a custom enclosure. I want do a MDF wall between the trunk and the cockpit of the car with a 8 or 10 inch JL W7 facing the cockpit. I'm just curious as I've never owned a vehicle where the sub wasn't in the trunk. Will ported or sealed make a difference in sound quality with a setup like this? Any words of wisdom and experience would be a huge help!

Attached is a photo of the rear seat delete for a better idea of the space I'll be working in.

A little of both I think. In my daily driver I have a kicker q class so I got plenty of loud in that I've never done sound quality build before. I figured the w7 would be good driver for that. And as for infinite baffle, no. My idea was to build the enclosure to the back of the divider

Last edited:
Most modern subs, w7 included, are designed to function well in ported alignment so consider that. If you're trying to wall this off at the "trunk" the really important bit is to thoroughly seal off the cabin from the trunk. 3/4" MDF and lots of construction adhesive for preference and possibly some spray foam for any tight spaces you can't fill with something more rigid.

If you aren't up to the task of completely isolating the cabin from the trunk you'd do just as well to just do a simple box in the trunk. Sub up port to the side with ample clearance between the port and the side you fire it into should get going nicely in there.

Also I'd never pay MSRP for a W7 myself. Figure out precisely how much space you have for a box, how much power you plan to use and what you really want to do and you may get some other ideas. Don't get me wrong, W7 is very nice but they're still 20+ year old technology and anything you think you need that to accomplish you can find elsewhere

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.