bridged my amp finally, morels finally sound like morels

frankiebones
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NYC
so i was sending morel hybrid ovation components around 90-100W per channel, now that i bridged the 4 channel, i am sending around 300W.

i like to tune my HU on a high volume, because until u get to volume 48/62 and higher, u get barely a single volt preamp when u can get 5V max unclipped preamp output by tuning ur system at volume 57/62 (instead of doing the 3/4 volume rule of thumb).

it sound phenomenal. at first i bugged out bc i heard some intense rattling coming from the right woofer but it turned out it was from a box of junior mints that was in the side pocket and was being rattled.

my calculations using the dmm were done using the rms rating of the amp at the approx average voltage. it says its 250 x 2 at 12.5, and 325 x 2 at 14.4. i am almost always pretty steady at 13.5, so i took the average of the two outputs, which is 287.5W.

287.5 * 4(ohms) = 1150

sqrt of 1150 = 33.91V

using a 1000Hz test tone, 0dB ref, all processing and EQ bands flat and the volume at 57/62, i decided not to push it so i didnt go for 33.91, i tuned AMP 1 and AMP 2 both to 28, giving myself some room for processing. i am going to do some random tests with some songs that seem to be recorded very loud and just see what kinda random readings i get when i am not using a test tone.

anybody dislike having mono in both speakers and no stereo sound that is differential bw the two?

you still have stereo unless you're

a) using the same channel (left or right) rca for both side (left AND right)

b) bridged both speakers together on one channel

on both sides, i bridged the L+ and the R- like it said. when i used y-splitters, i took the L signal, split it and put it to the 2 left signals. one right signal got split into the two right inputs. stereo?

that will be stereo..
but im with ya on power, i like around 450-500 rms on my focals. Really brings them alive.
whats the rms rating on those focals?

i know what u mean, even if u dont play it louder, u sure as hell notice a whole diff level of the song u never heard before.

i can hear the sound made by the actual hammer as it is about to hit the strings for the first note of G'n'R's, 'november rain.'

hhmm..

We had a guy trade in his Morel Hybrid's..

Maybe I will pic them up.. you say 300w?

I could prolly get 200x2 on them..

or add a 2Ohm resyster?

Typing out loud..

good to hear you are happy with the Morels now..

I got a set of Focal 130V1's going into my Car on a Arc Foose 2200 (100x2)

Peace Out

Troy

hhmm..We had a guy trade in his Morel Hybrid's..

Maybe I will pic them up.. you say 300w?

I could prolly get 200x2 on them..

or add a 2Ohm resyster?

Typing out loud..

good to hear you are happy with the Morels now..

I got a set of Focal 130V1's going into my Car on a Arc Foose 2200 (100x2)

Peace Out

Troy
i was happy with the morels to begin with, i was just too chickensh*t to risk blowing them by bridging my 4 channel a few months back. now i know a lot more, i have a DMM, i am getting an o-scope and i figured why not.

sick sick sick sick ass components. but i have heard them in a very similar car (BMW 330 v. my audi A4*) and i'm telling u one thing, fiberglass pods (and of course a whole bunch of dynamat, y'know, for the kids) make a huge diff in sound quality.

awesome speakers, awesome tech support. im good boys with bob morrow, head of tech support for morel (he reps dyn audio as well although im not sure what his official position is) who has spent hours on the phone with me explaining things that have nothing to do with the morels (sub x-over pts, sound staging, the bitrate of various diff sirius channels).

hell, if i had a wife, i would let morel sleep with her.

* the A4 and 330 have similar speaker locations (for stock installation) and are both well built german sedans that wont rattle nearly as much as anything not german, whether american or rice powered. this is an opinion, but if there is one constant throughout the last 500 or so years, that that Germans cant be f*cked with when it comes to engineering...

did the dynamat help in your fiberglass pods? what about polyfill (for anyone else that did it)
i had dynamat then i had them enclosed in the pods so i cant really say. not that great with the terminology, what do u mean by polyfill bc i can always ask my installer what he did. this shops sells almost all morels so they know how they sound in diff installs. PM me,ill give u the shop's number, they do a lot of sick work with morels.

well im happy with my speakers for now, just tweekin to get the most out of them. polyfill kind of looks like cotton, and if used in sealed application the woofer can "see" a bigger enclosure.

so you had dynamat in you're doors and then you switched them to fiberglass pods, correct?

got any pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i have morels aswell. and i noticed they are sure not the most sensitive speakers in the world. i reallly feel they need plenty of watts. the sensitivity on them is rated with volts not watts and still is not above 90

i was happy with the morels to begin with, i was just too chickensh*t to risk blowing them by bridging my 4 channel a few months back. now i know a lot more, i have a DMM, i am getting an o-scope and i figured why not.
r u using a true rms dmm or a regular dmm.

if you are using a regular DMM they you need to set your gains using a 60hz tone as opposed to the 100hz tone you stated above, if you are using RMS DMM then your fine.

the reason you use a 60hz tone with a DMM is that the dmm is set to test house voltage which operates at 60hz, a RMS DMM will sense the freq and give you a correct read out

but since you mentioned you wanted to get an o-scope im sure you have a RMS DMM and know not to mess with the cheap stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

on both sides, i bridged the L+ and the R- like it said. when i used y-splitters, i took the L signal, split it and put it to the 2 left signals. one right signal got split into the two right inputs. stereo?
It sounds like you're saying that your left and right speakers are both getting the signal for both left and right channels from the HU. If that's the case, then you aren't getting stereo, but rather mono in both speakers. Is this how Kicker says to set it up (I've never touched a Kicker amp, so I don't know)? Most amps I've seen say to use only one input per bridged speaker. I guess the easiest test is to play adjust the balance on the HU to one side and see if it actually adjusts properly at the speakers.

What is the preout voltage on your HU? 5v right? Hmm, mine is 2.2v. Should I set everything @ ~57/62? I have it set @ 48/62 now.
my output goes up like crazy when the volume gets high. check out these threads, i did a lot of random but educational (to me at least) tests with a high end DMM.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189084

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189084

specifically, check out this graph:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mpvoltages.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.