Bracing the Rear Deck to Prevent Rattling?

momeigs

Makeshift Bass-head
Feb 2, 2020
Jacksonville
Hey guys, so i’ve tried just about everything I can think of to rattle proof my car. My rear deck still rattles a little bit and I was thinking about something.

This is simply out of curiosity, but has anyone tried bracing the rear deck with wood or metal to stop from flexing? I have three child seat anchors positioned in a triangle that bolt into the sheet metal of the deck. I was thinking I could lay out three sheets of wood or metal and bolt them into the anchors so stop the flexing...

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Even just adding weight to the rear deck (mass) will lower the resonance frequency of the metal which will make it harder to vibrate. That's what deadener is for, like Dynamat, etc. You could make a whole contured plate out of wood and use an adhesive to stick it to the bottom or top of it.

I had a friend with 2 AB HD 12's in a early 2000's regal. He literally broke his deck, because of the bass, and from putting 4 6x9's back in the rear deck.. So if you do add weight, check to see if it sags, because you might need to add some sort of perpendicular bracing so that thing isn't just flopping around.

Reactions: momeigs

momeigs

Makeshift Bass-head
Feb 2, 2020
Jacksonville
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even just adding weight to the rear deck (mass) will lower the resonance frequency of the metal which will make it harder to vibrate. That's what deadener is for, like Dynamat, etc. You could make a whole contured plate out of wood and use an adhesive to stick it to the bottom or top of it.

I had a friend with 2 AB HD 12's in a early 2000's regal. He literally broke his deck, because of the bass, and from putting 4 6x9's back in the rear deck.. So if you do add weight, check to see if it sags, because you might need to add some sort of perpendicular bracing so that thing isn't just flopping around.
That sounds like an insane amount of weight for it to sag haha! I’m just going to get some plywood from home depot and bolt it down into the rear deck then go from there.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Break out the welder and some square tubing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds