Bracing the Rear Deck to Prevent Rattling?

Participant count
  • Participants list

momeigs

Makeshift Bass-head
Hey guys, so i’ve tried just about everything I can think of to rattle proof my car. My rear deck still rattles a little bit and I was thinking about something.

This is simply out of curiosity, but has anyone tried bracing the rear deck with wood or metal to stop from flexing? I have three child seat anchors positioned in a triangle that bolt into the sheet metal of the deck. I was thinking I could lay out three sheets of wood or metal and bolt them into the anchors so stop the flexing...

I was thinking something like this...

Attachments

• 0A9B3DE5-24A4-42B0-956A-C6E7FE906195.jpeg
    0A9B3DE5-24A4-42B0-956A-C6E7FE906195.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 128
Even just adding weight to the rear deck (mass) will lower the resonance frequency of the metal which will make it harder to vibrate. That's what deadener is for, like Dynamat, etc. You could make a whole contured plate out of wood and use an adhesive to stick it to the bottom or top of it.

I had a friend with 2 AB HD 12's in a early 2000's regal. He literally broke his deck, because of the bass, and from putting 4 6x9's back in the rear deck.. So if you do add weight, check to see if it sags, because you might need to add some sort of perpendicular bracing so that thing isn't just flopping around.

Even just adding weight to the rear deck (mass) will lower the resonance frequency of the metal which will make it harder to vibrate. That's what deadener is for, like Dynamat, etc. You could make a whole contured plate out of wood and use an adhesive to stick it to the bottom or top of it.

I had a friend with 2 AB HD 12's in a early 2000's regal. He literally broke his deck, because of the bass, and from putting 4 6x9's back in the rear deck.. So if you do add weight, check to see if it sags, because you might need to add some sort of perpendicular bracing so that thing isn't just flopping around.
That sounds like an insane amount of weight for it to sag haha! I’m just going to get some plywood from home depot and bolt it down into the rear deck then go from there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.