BPX 2200 = Battery/Alt Drainer Supreme?

malev0lent
10+ year member

MO
I originally was going to sell this amp, was a huge overkill with the 12 Fi Q I purchased. Now on a drunken whim I purchased a new 12 RE XXX so I finally have an excuse to use this beast. My question is from those that have used it, how much current does it seem to draw? Before this the biggest amp I have used was a JL1000/1 and a Phoenix Gold Route 66. The combo of the two made the lights in my 04 Tahoe dim...all while making my Volt Meter have convulsions. It is to be installed in my 07 Civic Si...stock alternator/battery. Yes, very scary...I can't even find out what the output is on the alternator, local dealership doesn't even know) I would assume that I will be needing at least 1 Yellow Top...but just wanted to ask those that have already been there.

As a side note high end is Polk SR6500 on an Alpine PDX 4.150

Thanks

i heard they are very efficient...
uhhh, NO. The big JBL amps have notoriously been current hogs, and not too friendly on super low impediences. My buddy has two of them, is sponsored by JBL and he totally hates the amps. WAAY to big in physical size for what they do and total current hogs.

Id slap a couple of cheapie evermaxx walmart batteries in parallel with each other on this amp if I were you. Those honda alty's are only like 75-90 amps.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif you can't "drain" an alternator, it does not store current, therefore the term doesn't apply.

I'm sure you knew this, but it's the second time I've seen someone refer to draining an alternator in 24 hours.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif you can't "drain" an alternator, it does not store current, therefore the term doesn't apply.
I'm sure you knew this, but it's the second time I've seen someone refer to draining an alternator in 24 hours.
who said anything about draining alternators in this thread?

Im extremely excited to finally get to use it honestly. I am just trying to get a feel ahead of time for what I should expect when its powered on. I dont wanna damage my car or the equiptment because of my lack of preperation.

Your alt. is 120 amps.

Come over to 8thcivic.com if you'd like some more car-specific information.

What is the voltage at your battery terminal dipping to when the lights dim?

Your alt. is 120 amps.
Come over to 8thcivic.com if you'd like some more car-specific information.

What is the voltage at your battery terminal dipping to when the lights dim?
Kickazz, thanks for that link! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

My install on my civic wont start until this weekend probably. It just has stock stuff in it atm. So havent seen how bad its going to dim yet, just trying to be as prepaired as I can be to keep it from happening.

With my Tahoe I honestly dont remember how low it went, its been a few years since I have had that vehicle.

I believe those amps are class a/b so they are going to take a decent amount of current to get good power. and any amp with that much power is going to be a current hog :p

I believe those amps are class a/b so they are going to take a decent amount of current to get good power. and any amp with that much power is going to be a current hog :p
They are class D.

But yeah, they **** some current.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

malev0lent

10+ year member
malev0lent
MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from