Boxes for extra 8s I have in the garage

I have 5 Skar ZVX8's in my garage that I'm looking to do something with. I know, I know, everyone hates Skar. I get it. But I already have them, so I'm looking to use them. I am looking to build 2 enclosures. I have the tools and skills, just not the knowledge or understanding of how to calculate how I should build the box.

Subs - Manufacturer spec calls for 1.25ft cubed per sub with port area of 14.45" and tuning at 36hz.

Box 1 - 4 subs. So would I just quadruple those numbers for a box? And how do I figure the bracing and design the port? Would be going in an older Escalade and just plan to build a generic rectangular enclosure. Nothing fancy.

Box 2 - 1 sub. Same specs obviously, just need to be able to fit the box in the trunk of an early 2000s Honda Accord.

Thanks in advance!

Didn't you say before you had a bass clef 4k?
Doing 4 in an Escalade ought to be easy . Lotsa designers all over Fb who could knock out a design pretty cheap I'm sure.

Just my .02

I have the DDs in my 89 Probe on a Lightning Audio 1000.1 it does 12-1300 clean @ 1 ohm it's one of the original lightning audios not the newer junk amps this one is made in the US

I had two RF pro 12's in my 89 Probe in 1989. Nakamichi power. My VFL8's behind the seat of my 2005 Dodge. DDM80 amp, 900@ 1 ohm.

Attachments

• 20191225_210449.jpg
    20191225_210449.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 162
I ran four Sundown E8s in an MR2 on a Sundown 1200. Everyone was impressed but I'll never do eights again.
These F8Ls on a M2a at .67 freaking slam for 8s. But coming from a DD9518 on the same power in a trunk its disappointing. But when I have very little space to work with, and very limited mounting height and depth, it is what it is.

I feel I have pretty much achieved the max for keeping my usable back seat and no bed cut. However there is room for improvement on my voltage so that will help quite a bit as well.

Didn't you say before you had a bass clef 4k?
Doing 4 in an Escalade ought to be easy . Lotsa designers all over Fb who could knock out a design pretty cheap I'm sure.

Just my .02

Yeah I got the amp and all 5 subs out of a car I bought. Car is long gone. I ran two of the Skars in my truck for a bit and then decided to try out the f8ls instead and stuck with those. The Skars were choked out big time in the fox box in my truck. Honestly, I probably will sell them, but I’d kinda like to see what they can do in a box that is proper for them. That is why I was wanting to put 4 in the Escalade since I could build a big enough box. Then I wanted to build a single box and give it to my sister for her accord. I have an extra taramps amp I snagged from facebook I was gonna run the single on in the accord.

I just figured if I can slap a couple boxes together for ~$100-150 worth of materials, I can try them to see what they can do with the right power and breathing room.

I use to run a pair of DD 8s in 1.5 plus port so after motor and port displacement I was looking at about 2cu ft for the pair
Yea 1.5 net for 2. Hes looking at 2.5 net for 2. I'm at 2 net for 3 8s pretty much the same size. About 3 cubes gross with a 6" flared port, subs displacement, and bracing

However he is talking about a SUV box so buy a sheet or 2 of wood and start building. Worst case your out $50-$100 in materials. And you can always sell that box for that on craigslist. Worst case with the airspace requirements, you can recut the holes for 10s and sell it as a 4 10 box hahaha

These F8Ls on a M2a at .67 freaking slam for 8s. But coming from a DD9518 on the same power in a trunk its disappointing. But when I have very little space to work with, and very limited mounting height and depth, it is what it is.

I feel I have pretty much achieved the max for keeping my usable back seat and no bed cut. However there is room for improvement on my voltage so that will help quite a bit as well.

Pics? Were you running three of them? How much were you giving each sub. My M80 is rated at 900 @ 1 ohm. Therefore, giving each VFL8 450 each. But, does not come close to my single 15 on 3k. I don't think any amount of 8's could. Can't get low enough. Just my opinion.

Pics? Were you running three of them? How much were you giving each sub. My M80 is rated at 900 @ 1 ohm. Therefore, giving each VFL8 450 each. But, does not come close to my single 15 on 3k. I don't think any amount of 8's could. Can't get low enough. Just my opinion.

Still am running 3. My m2a is rated 1600 at 1 ohm at 12v. So I'm guessing atleast 2k-2400 at .67 if I can get my voltage up.
These F8Ls have no problem digging low. To the ear they peak from 30-40 and start dropping off higher up. Factory radio cuts out most below 30, need to work around that as they have much more to give down low

18 sierra crew cab. 2" seat lift.
20200102_084700.jpg

Still am running 3. My m2a is rated 1600 at 1 ohm at 12v. So I'm guessing atleast 2k-2400 at .67 if I can get my voltage up.
These F8Ls have no problem digging low. To the ear they peak from 30-40 and start dropping off higher up. Factory radio cuts out most below 30, need to work around that as they have much more to give down low

18 sierra crew cab. 2" seat lift.
View attachment 20039

Nice setup. Can they really take 700-800 each? I guess after rise they might be getting around 500-600. I've never seen a box like that, sweet design. How many cubes did you get? I'm guessing 3.5-4 net.

Nice setup. Can they really take 700-800 each? I guess after rise they might be getting around 500-600. I've never seen a box like that, sweet design. How many cubes did you get? I'm guessing 3.5-4 net.
Before this I had 2 on the same amp at 1 ohm. They handled it pretty well. I could tell I was maxing them out sometimes, so I added a third. With the 3, I max out my voltage before I do the subs. So time for HO alt and batt upgrades.

I squeezed every dimension I could to make it fit decent, tried to follow seat curves as best I could without sacrificing airspace. I believe I'm right at 3 cubes gross. And 1.95 net @33. Fitting that dang 6" port ******. And I believe I'm technically probably a little low on port area.
I plan to press some mesh grills for fit the openings and cover the subs flush with the outside. What's why the subs are recessed so far.
20191224_172644.jpg
20191224_172634.jpg

Before this I had 2 on the same amp at 1 ohm. They handled it pretty well. I could tell I was maxing them out sometimes, so I added a third. With the 3, I max out my voltage before I do the subs. So time for HO alt and batt upgrades.

I squeezed every dimension I could to make it fit decent, tried to follow seat curves as best I could without sacrificing airspace. I believe I'm right at 3 cubes gross. And 1.95 net @33. Fitting that dang 6" port ******. And I believe I'm technically probably a little low on port area.
I plan to press some mesh grills for fit the openings and cover the subs flush with the outside. What's why the subs are recessed so far.
View attachment 20042View attachment 20043

Are you good on cubes net, or, a little shy? I tried to get two cubes net for my two VFL'S.

Yeah I got the amp and all 5 subs out of a car I bought. Car is long gone. I ran two of the Skars in my truck for a bit and then decided to try out the f8ls instead and stuck with those. The Skars were choked out big time in the fox box in my truck. Honestly, I probably will sell them, but I’d kinda like to see what they can do in a box that is proper for them. That is why I was wanting to put 4 in the Escalade since I could build a big enough box. Then I wanted to build a single box and give it to my sister for her accord. I have an extra taramps amp I snagged from facebook I was gonna run the single on in the accord.

I just figured if I can slap a couple boxes together for ~$100-150 worth of materials, I can try them to see what they can do with the right power and breathing room.
Might be easier to sell them in a box as well lol. I might suggest two 3 cubic feet boxes of the same dimensions tuning etc... Would make selling them in pairs easier, just a thought.

Might be easier to sell them in a box as well lol. I might suggest two 3 cubic feet boxes of the same dimensions tuning etc... Would make selling them in pairs easier, just a thought.

I had thought of that, but I only have the one amp to sell currently, and it is way too much for just two of them. Since it is tax money time for the next couple months, I'm sure someone will snatch it all up if I put it together. But before I get to that, I have to figure out the box to make them work in the first place.

I had thought of that, but I only have the one amp to sell currently, and it is way too much for just two of them. Since it is tax money time for the next couple months, I'm sure someone will snatch it all up if I put it together. But before I get to that, I have to figure out the box to make them work in the first place.
no i'm saying you build two boxes for 2 8s but you are still running all 4. Just having two separate boxes would make the selling process easier to other buyers not wanting a huge 6 cubic feet box that would only fit in an SUV or bigger. While the two 3 cubic feet boxes would sell to anyone with any vehicle size.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.