Box size in relation to sound output and power input

between who? Buck and Mobile Enclosures are making pretty much the same point. And **** arguing with either of them!
Someone will come and skimp through thinking they "know it all". This will lead to stupid responses that make no common sense. People may mistake the poster for a troll, but truly they know the man who did it just does not know what he is talking about.

My tweets must not be too loud then, cause they don't "move" any air... The sound they make is vibrations. "Moving air" has more so to do with frequency than anything else.

My tweets must not be too loud then, cause they don't "move" any air... The sound they make is vibrations. "Moving air" has more so to do with frequency than anything else.
Loudness is measured in different forms. The loudness you refer to with your tweeters is based on intensity (w/m^2) and distance, not frequency based. Moving air as far as compression is concerned is of course the factor of the measurement of Pascals, or pressure converted directly to SPL, but dB reference is related to both intensity and pressure in all forms.

you are confusing the terms and relationship between the two.

The intensity is based on energy, so if your tweeters produce a directive high energy transfer, they will be loud to the ear based on vibrations yes. But in sub frequencies, we also have the psi relation to pressure in measurement terms. Moving air can be accomplished without an acoustical source, and it can be metered just the same output, such as blowing into a meter. But the intensity, or energy, from the sound is another form of measured "loudness" to a meter. Both are relative to their own units of measurement and both can be transformed into the form of dB logarithmic output (better for audible accuracy).

Pressure is related to a 3d field of all dimensions, where as intensity is a directive source of transfer from point a to point b. It uses all planes as pressure, but is again, measured differently.

Your reference to "loud" in the sense of a tweeter has not much to do with the dB pressure units of measurement more so it does with intensity units of measurement. Therefore, tweeters can hit say, 120dB a lot easier than one may think without moving an inch. Vibrations and fluctuations or oscillations as we call it, take the same form of transferred energy into two related fields of acoustics.

Do not confuse the two.

Don't get me wrong though, as far as frequencies are concerned, the main form of concentration of energy has to do with time (ms) which is directly related to frequency changes, so yes, it has to do with frequency differences also, but all forms of sound take a certain amount of pressure to move. The fact that frequencies of higher scale have less time between a neutral state between positive and negative wave formation, they tend to produce less pressure and more intensity, and vice versa for the lower frequencies. Why do you think 1kHz is used for a lot of testing purposes? It is a good balance between the two factors.

Sound is created by compressions and rarefactions, high pressure zones basically followed by vacuums/extreme low pressure zones. These basically are drastic differences causing a lot of rapid turbulence in the air, a lot of crazy pressure changes. That's why a sub keeps going up and down, it's pressurizing it's environment to the frequency of the sound consistently.

Air is just a medium in which sound (the energy of sound) is transferred.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.