box sealing

pj_chevy03
10+ year member

please ban me
Alabama
o.k 3 simple questions about box building

1. what is the best type of liquid nails to use to hold box together

2. what are the best size/thread screws to use

3. what is the best type of caulk to use to seal the box's edges in the inside of the box

o.k 3 simple questions about box building1. what is the best type of liquid nails to use to hold box together

2. what are the best size/thread screws to use

3. what is the best type of caulk to use to seal the box's edges in the inside of the box
1. Carpenters/wood glue. Cheaper, works fine. Glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.

2. Coarse threaded drywall screws seem to be the screw of choice. Length will depend on the size of the wood you're using ... probably around 1 1/2 or a little larger.

3. White **** that comes in a tube is fine. Can't think of a brand off the top of my head ... maybe GE or something. Doesn't really matter. Fiberglass resin will also work.

- Steve

i perfer titebond woodglue as well....over anything

as far as fumes go.....if you let your box dry for a day or two(like it should to have the glue and chauk set correctly)...the fumes are no longer there....but i'm not sure if they themselves would harm a sub anyways

I've heard they had the possibility of messing up a certain type of surround.

Be careful with anything that smells I guess ... as mentioned above, let it air out.

- Steve

I've heard they had the possibility of messing up a certain type of surround.
Be careful with anything that smells

- Steve
well i totally agree w/ the second part there :thumbsup

and i've never heard of it messed w/ surronds....something to look out for

I thought I was warned with my old boob-cone SE's, but that was quite a while ago ... so I forget :p
- Steve
do those use the same surround as anything they have made since then....if it is.....then i could have trouble w/ every series from RE since then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Not sure.

People have been sealing the inside of their boxes with caulking for a long time and I've only seen a couple people with messed up surrounds. Should be fine.

- Steve

use elmer wood gule to assemble the then use white lightning to seat the box. I work for a wood butcher (he knows all about wood) and if u are really anal about ur box i could ask him.

there are specific brands that recommend not using 'caulk or similar sealing agents' other then wood glue unless the stuff is given time to cure. (only like 24 hours). I know Visonik does and i believe MTX used to mention it ( a few years ago). Same with spray glue for carpeting. so its really no biggie. Most of us usually have the box ready before we get the driver anyhow...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.