Box Material

DonCorleone
10+ year member

Im a newb to making boxes but I want to put two DD 10's in a box in my trunk but I dont just want a plain carpet box, my question is, would it be possible to make a box from plexi glass? I think it would be cool to be able to see the sub working and everything without mounting it backward but im not sure if this is possible because of how it would sound. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

You could do it, and I would snag some clear, acrylic rod as well for supports...and make sure the joints are sealed...it'll be hard to look perfect but could look pretty good

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll probably just make one out of wood then, what kind of wood is best and would I be able to just use a plexiglass front?

MDF is your best bet. As far as making a Plexi Box its not as hard as people think just very time consuming. If you do not take your time you can crack the glass ect ect. But it is fun to do.

My advice would be to make all the sides of the box, with 3/4" mdf and make a grove in the top and bottom (or where ever as long as they are opposite of each other) and just slide a piece of plixiglass in it.. IM 17 and i make all my boxs, if i can do it. Im **** sure any one could. Well if u know how to work a table saw screw gun and know how to seal up a box with liquid nail! =]]

Liquid nails is teh FAIL.

Use Loctite wood glue for the MDF, and DAP Beats the Nail to bond the plexi to the wood.

A plexi top box ain't a bad or hard idea, just take your time. It's a shame that you are in WI, cause I have some hump molded 15/16 Lexan for sale in TN. I think outside dimensions are 21x21?????? I forgot.

You need to build it right, then put a light in the box to shine at night thru the plexi.

What im thinking im going to do is make the box out of wood but put plexi on the top and sound sensitive lights on the inside that will light up when my subs hit.

3/4 or 1 inch plexi is real expensive other wise i would of use it
Once I started researching I found out that same thing and nicked the entire box idea, thats why im just going to put plexi on the top. Is there an alternative to plexi that i could put on top of the box? Lexan perhaps?

Lexan is WAY more costly than regular plexi, but is the best option. You cannot break Lexan, nor can you shoot through it.

You can buy a premade box at the local flea market that is plexi.... Just toss those Q-power subs and add yours.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.