Need help with towers

zx450v2
10+ year member

ohio
Im looking for some help and/or plans and directions to build some Home Theater towers for my room. They are gonna be bigger than normal towers and have one 18'' fi Q, one JL 12'' w6, two mids and two tweets. I just need help with some plans and box designs to make it sound the way it should. Good sound quality.

Thanks

all of that per tower? those are going to be seriously big...like half the room, lol. i would suggest putting one 18" in a seperate box tuned low. if thats not enough bass for you something is wrong. also...how do you plan to power all this?

#1 - Don't combine subwoofer brands/models. If you really need a stout midbass, get a dedicated 12" or 10" midbass, not the W6...unless the JL can actually go up that high without having the off-axis response go to hell, which I'm not sure it can.

#2 - With two tweets, you're likely going to run into comb filtering issues. It'll be hard to have a well-defined soundstage. One tweet and one midrange per side is going to be a lot easier to design a crossover for.

#3 - If this is your first project, you'd do well to stick to something pre-designed. If "good sound quality" really is a priority, designing a crossover from scratch if you have no experience with building them may be a lot to take on.

agreed. parts express is a good site, and they have tutorials. home audio is a different monster than car audio. i built bookshelf speakers for under 100$ that get louder than our sony tower speaker system.

ok i have two 15'' Fi Q's and 2 jl w6ae's and thats it right now. How many mids and how many tweets should get for each tower? im gonna buy three different amps, one for subs, one for the w6 ae's and one for the mids and tweets. Do you buy two crossovers for each tower? or does the amp crossover the spaekers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.