Box Ideas single 12" bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nicster
10+ year member

Okay long story short my friend brother is going to jail, and he sold me a sub he had sitting in his room. It is a GT120 (JBL 4ohm SVC 12" 250rms 1000 watt peak) Last night i downloaded the specs for the sub off jbls home page. I decided I want a sealed box (reasoning baised on its the easist to build) So I need a ONE cubic foot box. Anyone have plans for this type of box? Also the instrustions are to "stuff with loosey-packed fiberfil" What is fiberfil? Can i just use insualtion from home depot (the kind they use for heating and cooling) Last but not lease my idea has anyone tryed putting "Fiberglass Body filler" inside the box to make it thicker, sound better, or just as a sealent?

If anyone has a suggestion for this box, or for my sub let me know...

Originally posted by nicster Okay long story short my friend brother is going to jail, and he sold me a sub he had sitting in his room. It is a GT120 (JBL 4ohm SVC 12" 250rms 1000 watt peak) Last night i downloaded the specs for the sub off jbls home page. I decided I want a sealed box (reasoning baised on its the easist to build) So I need a ONE cubic foot box. Anyone have plans for this type of box? Also the instrustions are to "stuff with loosey-packed fiberfil" What is fiberfil? Can i just use insualtion from home depot (the kind they use for heating and cooling) Last but not lease my idea has anyone tryed putting "Fiberglass Body filler" inside the box to make it thicker, sound better, or just as a sealent?

If anyone has a suggestion for this box, or for my sub let me know...
use polyfil inside the box...its not expensive at all.

use the poly fill like recomended...as for the fiberglass on the inside....yeah its been done, it seals fine, but its over kill, silicon will work just fine on the seems. as for the box design i would just do something like a 14" square face and then 8 or so inches of depth (those are inside demensions.

Go to Walmart's fabric section and get a large bag of polyfill for 5 bucks that can easily fill 3+cubic ft of space.

some people think that non-stuffed boxes have an "echoed" sound to them....personally i dont see a difference, but some use it for reasons other then creating more air space.

the fill is to slow the sound waves correct? Well lets say I dont want to mess with the stuff, how much bigger of a box would i make it. from a 1 cubic foot to a 1.25 cubic? the fill seems to be a bother some, because how loose is loosey packed fiber fil? So bigger box sounds a little bit easier.

yeah 1.25 is fine.....there are suggestions for how much fill ( lbs per cubic foot), so you can be a little more acurate if you search for something along those lines....like i said before, if your just using the fiber to trick the sub into thinking there is more volume, its probably not going to make a huge difference in your case.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.