Box Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

ingine53
10+ year member

I am still a noob to car audio and have a few questions. Doing research I have found out that a subwoofer box can make or break a subs performance. All over the internet I see people saying their subwoofer box is tuned for a certain number(like 32). I've never really understood what this means. I have decided to get 2 kicker l7 15's and the kicker zx1500.1. I have found a ported box on ebay that seems small for 2 15's and it says its not tuned. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-KICKER-DUAL-15-SUBWOOFER-L5-L7-PORTED-CAR-SUB-BOX-U_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59c0dbdfQQitemZ130354830303QQptZCarQ5fSubwoofersQ5fEnclosures#ht_3105wt_1167

Can someone explain to me what tuned means and if this box would be the ideal box for 2 kicker l7 15's.

any ported box is "tuned" thats what the port does but build ur own the L7 as well as any other sub needs a specific box to really hammer good like they can the box u linked is a kicker spec box and will work but not like they are capabale of. and fwiw that 1500 is no where near enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I read kicker underrates their amps so that amp is really putting out about 1800rms at 2 ohms. The two subs can handle 2000 total so 1800 would be close enough wouldnt it?

you wont find a prefab that is 5 cf per sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

they need 5cf to really hammer that box is fair its exactly to specs but kicker does the specs to protect themselves not to help you.

What do you mean after rise?
music is transient

the load the amp sees changes when the sub is in a box it is called rise which means the ohm load the amp sees is higher than you think so say ur box has a 1.5 ohm rise but you wired the subs at 1 ohm to the amp after rise means the amp sees 2.5 ohms not 1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.