box help non noob question

Participant count
  • Participant list

tacovic
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok so i cut my wood for my box and figured out i messed up on some of the measurements. the box is alot smaller than i expected and is not utilizing alot of space in my trunk. now i want honest anwers and i know bigger=louder.

im wondering if it will be worth making a new box that will be a little bigger

the current measurements on the box i have now is this

15x32x12

and this is the max measurements i have to work with

20x40x15

is it worth making a new box with the bigger measurements?

will it be any louder?

by the way its slot ported to 39 htz and its for a hdc312

thanks in advance

your box right now is like 3.3 cubes, the one youre thinking of making is just under 7. how did you mess up that bad?

anyway, idk, if that sub needs 7 cubes all on its own, but 3.3 before taking into account port/driver displacement will likely leave you just under 3 cubes.

if i was you, id make a new box, but maybe around 4 cubes after taking port/driver displacement. 7s kinda big IMO, you can have heat issues with the coils if the enclosure is to big.

**edit, just realized it was the 12. you should be fine with the box you just made. could be a little bigger IMO, but id try this box first considering its already made. and make sure your port cut outs are all correct now as well. your box tuning could change now since you said you messed up on some cuts.

**** your right didnt seem logical to me

so whats the biggest box i should use for my 12 considering its gonna be getting 1700 rms

15x32x12= 5760/1728= 3.333333
20x40x15=12000/1728= 6.944444
That's not taking the wood into account... I'd say the box is closer to 2 cubes maybe 2.25 after port and driver displacement.

ehh, id just use what you have for now. go easy on it at first and as long as it sounds good and you dont smell coils, id just forget about a new box.

that's alot of power for a 12" regardless, not sure the power handling on the hdc312 but i think it'll be fine

i mean my 15" L7 is in a 4ft^3 box (after port/sub dispacement) at 38hz, 36x24x14 and it's nice

i say use it, if you have it, why throw it away without listening to it

That's not taking the wood into account... I'd say the box is closer to 2 cubes maybe 2.25 after port and driver displacement.
hes right, i was jsut giving a rough estimate. id still try the box you have built right now. either that or tear off the side walls and make it a few inches taller. you wont have to make a whole new box, but will gain some extra space.

if its all sealed up though, again, just try it and see what happens. worst case scenario, you have to build a new box.

ya the AQ can take that no problem

i just measured wrong with the space i had i didnt measure wrong for the cuts so the tuning is still right

so i have all the wood cut in my garage i just need to put it together

i guess ill put it together and see how it sounds

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.