Box for Type R

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

NSWARTHEY: im not as dumb as you think i am......

I WAS NEVER THE ONE WHO PRE LABELED ANYONE.

IF YOU WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE BEGINNING OF THE SITE INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING AT THE PICTURES YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT THE BOXES WE HAVE LISTED ARE SIMPLY EXAMPLES TO GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT OUR PRICES ARE AND THAT WE WOULD NEED THE VEHICLE DIMENSIONS AND DRIVER MODEL TO MAKE THE ENCLOSURE.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT SEALED BOXES HAVE THEIR PLACE, WE BUILD PLENTY OF THEM. I SIMPLY KNOW FROM TRIAL AND ERROR THAT THE TYPE-R WOOFERS HAVE A BETTER IN CAR RESPONSE IN A PORTED ENCLOSURE (EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ADVERTISED AS STRICTLY A SEALED BOX DRIVER) IF YOU HAVE THE EXTRA SPACE TO GIVE UP (THEY WORK BEST IN ENCLOSURES 2.0 - 2.5^ft PER DRIVER PORTED). PIONEER DID THE SAME THING WITH THE ORIGINAL ALCC (PREMIER) WOOFERS.

Originally posted by jonmrk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

NSWARTHEY: im not as dumb as you think i am......

I WAS NEVER THE ONE WHO PRE LABELED ANYONE.

IF YOU WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE BEGINNING OF THE SITE INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING AT THE PICTURES YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT THE BOXES WE HAVE LISTED ARE SIMPLY EXAMPLES TO GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT OUR PRICES ARE AND THAT WE WOULD NEED THE VEHICLE DIMENSIONS AND DRIVER MODEL TO MAKE THE ENCLOSURE.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT SEALED BOXES HAVE THEIR PLACE, WE BUILD PLENTY OF THEM. I SIMPLY KNOW FROM TRIAL AND ERROR THAT THE TYPE-R WOOFERS HAVE A BETTER IN CAR RESPONSE IN A PORTED ENCLOSURE (EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ADVERTISED AS STRICTLY A SEALED BOX DRIVER) IF YOU HAVE THE EXTRA SPACE TO GIVE UP (THEY WORK BEST IN ENCLOSURES 2.0 - 2.5^ft PER DRIVER PORTED). PIONEER DID THE SAME THING WITH THE ORIGINAL ALCC (PREMIER) WOOFERS.
1st off, please don't use the caps, considered rude here.

2nd off, I have personally worked with the Type-R's in both enclosures, in various sizes, and they are optimal in a sealed enclosure.

Maybe it's just opinion, or personal taste, but I'd rather throw Type-R's in a sealed box rather than ported.

**** this is beef.... I had 2 12" alpine 1241ds in a sealed box, and they pounded fine, in fact I would doubt a ported enclosure would sound better, I am now building a custom box for 2 1041ds for my truck, they will also be in seperate SEALED enclosures...

you know what, its too subjective to argue about. the man has tested em in ported and he likes it. ive heard them in sealed and i dont think that they could have sounded better or louder.....but w/e......

Originally posted by jonmrk Talk to an Alpine rep or any store (Hi - End / Custom) selling them, you will find that they have had the best results in ported enclosures vs. sealed.
DUH! better listen to them in sealed and then ported you will know sealed is better!

edit: i think nswartley is right its more subective. but i personally think type R should go sealed. theya re optimal at sealed enclosures as what nova said.

EDIT: to end this I THINK type should go BANDPASS!

LOL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

Originally posted by MUGEN! EDIT: to end this I THINK type should go BANDPASS!

LOL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif
dont even start //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

but, they can be built right and sound **** good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

1st off, please don't use the caps, considered rude here. That is infantile. What is even worse (as stated before) is arguing redundantly, with people who have think they know all their is to know after testing a couple different scenerios.

Sealed / Ported.............they both hammer with the Alpine Type R drivers are DESIGNED CORRECTLY. And that was caps.

This is why I usually stay in the Carsound forum.

I was just trying to fill some people in on what dozens of other people have found with hundreds of different scenerios.

As stated before, try it your self and YOU decide what is best for you.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by jonmrk A: Your Alpine subs will sound like Crap sealed.

B: You could order a custom enclosure built for your car / drivers and have it in 5 days and you know it will sound great and be built rock - solid.

http://www.Fibercoustix.com
...and...

If in further doubt, I will get you Tory's (SE Alpine Rep), and you can argue with him yourself. 

John Hatfield

Fibercoustix

2+2 = blatant self promotion

Come on, guys. Don't fall for this. Dude's first recommendation, after the completely asinine comments about the Type-R subs sounding like crap in sealed boxes (where they really shine, IMO) was to order a box from HIS company. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Do you think, just for a moment, that maybe John's a little biased? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Originally posted by Tungsten ...and...

2+2 = blatant self promotion

Come on, guys. Don't fall for this. Dude's first recommendation, after the completely asinine comments about the Type-R subs sounding like crap in sealed boxes (where they really shine, IMO) was to order a box from HIS company. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Do you think, just for a moment, that maybe John's a little biased? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
yes we proved him wrong and no one even bought from him anyways so its a good deal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

"yes we proved him wrong and no one even bought from him anyways so its a good deal "

And you are basing both of these statements on what?

So you think that having a people dis-agree with my suggestions on the Alpine Type-R woofers actually prevented us from selling our boxes?

The post was not originally posted to "promote" our site, that's what we pay Google for.

As stated before I was simply trying to fill a few people in on what dozens of other people are finding to work best (within their taste). We build plenty of sealed boxes, so why would I use this post (turned argument) into a promo?

I did not see one person who had a well designed ported enclosure for the Type-R's and chose to go sealed. Just alot of people who are perfectly happy with their sealed boxes.

This is good. What is bad is that someone can't introduce new or sub-standard info without alot of negative and mis leading comments. No wonder R.C. keeps his post vague.

So, No, you didn't prove me wrong, unless you happened to build two enclosures, put them in the same vehicle and RTA'd them. You proved just what I stated before, to each their own. Some will like them ported, some not. So, in reality, this was a lose - lose forum. You have now disillusioned owners of Type-R's that may actully like them in a ported enclosure by your biased OPINION.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Jon - I'd just like to say - it's probably not a good idea to form opinions on "what sounds like crap" based on what's selling. Who do you think (primarily) are the people buying the type r's and enclosure from these stores that are ordering from you?

I would have to guess a lot of them would be the kids who just want a bunch of BOOM in the back of thier civic. Flat bass response probably does sound like crap to them b/c they'd rather have that extra spl over a 20hz span than good flat response over a 50hz span.

That's the only mistake I think you made. Hopefully we can stop the fight.

I do believe Jon is a very good source of knowledge especially for enclosures. But Jon - making blanket statements about how a sub/enclosure "sounds" based on what's hot in the 16-20 year old market probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

I think that was probobly the most logical and intalligent post on this forum yet (including any of mine).

First of all I would like to apologize for my term "crap". Obviously in the south it means less than other places. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif To me crap = "not good as it could be"

I am sure (as stated before) that there are many Alpine-R owners out there with well buit sealed boxes that absolutely love them.

The post I orogonally made (along with several others) was not intended to degrade the sealed enclosures, but to simply let some people in on some inside information on what some pretty good size shops are having hte most success with. With a sensitivity of only 87db (SWR-1221D &SWR-1241D) a ported enclosure for some, would be very satisfying.

But on the other hand, an Xmax (one way) of 13.35mm, sealed will do well also. You who have the time can debate this in another forum at another time. My problem is, when people make statements with no basis of comparison. I will gladly e-mail anyone a graph (though it will be out of car) between the two enclosures. But my recommendation is try them both for yourself. Don't listen to me or anyone else who is a "know it all" because there is no such person. Take the time, do the research and find out for yourself.

But actually from a graph (take it for what it's worth), a ported enclosure at 2.5^ft tuned at 26 HZ has a better slope than a sealed (recommended 1.2 ^ft) from 70 HZ to 20 HZ.

I'm done. Not trying to promote anything. Hopefully someone somewhere has gotten something from this forum.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.