Box design conflict

SoundWave.Co
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
:confused:I have a new woofer I want to experiment with, before I build more vehicles with it, but I now have 2 different designs for it. 1st one I got was from PWK, and it's internal volume is 5.37ft, and the design I got from the manufacturer is 9.6ft. I am looking to make this woofer as loud as possible, with out sacrificing it's music capabilities. It is going into the back of a 2 door Yukon/full size blazer. I really like the low bass since I have an epicenter, but would like it to sound good on most music also. Can anyone halp me out with a design or input, Thanks.

T/S:

Fs----------31.467 Hz

Qms--------3.162

Vas---------61.844L

Cms--------0.643mm/N

Mms--------343.62g

Rms--------1.691kg/s

Xmax-------21.0 mm

P-dia-------322mm

Sd---------0.081sq. M

P-Vd-------1.709L

Qes--------0.529

Re---------0.8ohm

Le---------1.548mH

Z----------1.0ohms

Bl----------11.538 Tm

Qts---------0.479

No----------0.503%

1-w SPL----89.1 dB

2.83-V SPL--99.22 dB

(EBP)-------59.93

Well, first off...you should question Pete's design. If those are true parameters, then his design will work great. However, if the parameters are incorrect or are of brand new un-broken in drivers...then you might have a problem.

The parameters are for a 15" subwoofer. Typical compliance of a 15" subwoofer is between 3.5-6.0cf ported. 9.6 cf is kind of off the charts...unless you want a huge gain around tuning. Also, without knowing anything else about what you're looking for or tuning, there's not much we can help you with.

tuan

Well, first off...you should question Pete's design. If those are true parameters, then his design will work great. However, if the parameters are incorrect or are of brand new un-broken in drivers...then you might have a problem.
The parameters are for a 15" subwoofer. Typical compliance of a 15" subwoofer is between 3.5-6.0cf ported. 9.6 cf is kind of off the charts...unless you want a huge gain around tuning. Also, without knowing anything else about what you're looking for or tuning, there's not much we can help you with.

tuan
tuan knows his stuff so does pwk. and i agree 9.6 for a single 15 is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif unless its for home theatre..

Thats what I thought, the only reason I have looked at PWKs twice, is because originally, the design was for 2 woofers. Since then, I decided to use just one woofer, essentially using half the box. When I asked Pete about it, he said it may not work.

tuan
I want to achieve maximum spl and loudness, and still be able to play music, maybe up to 50Hz. But I am more into the lows myself, but this is somewhat a demo vehicle too, so I need to be able to do more than burp and it is a daily driver too, so I will be listening to music on it.

The reason why half of it may not work is because the transfer function of the design is different. When you cut the box in half the design changes entirely. The so called "space" that your enclosure takes up is now opened up. The vehicle environment has changed hence the design may need to be different.

Tuan

The reason why half of it may not work is because the transfer function of the design is different. When you cut the box in half the design changes entirely. The so called "space" that your enclosure takes up is now opened up. The vehicle environment has changed hence the design may need to be different.
Tuan
hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Tuan

Tuan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.