Box Build for: The215

No one is arguing that they don't help, but it is true that they aren't always needed. Just like bracing. Some people go overboard with bracing when the benefit doesn't always warrant the time spent. In my experience, a 45 in the port is the most beneficial.
The 45 in the port is the most beneficial, but there is more to it then just that. It does not take much more time/effort to throw a few 45s in. For what you charge I would expect them to be there with rounded over port edges.(or maybe I should increase my prices and I'm in the wrong)

Again, "there is more to it than that" is not science, and not a reason to go above and beyond. If you want to spend the extra time adding 45s, feel free... but to say that they SHOULD be there for what I charge is going overboard. I think you should pre-drill your holes before making accusations. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

I do pre drill want some pics? All so "more to it" means do your own research in physics. I'm not a teacher. As for your price, I won't go there again. I said what I said and that is that. Sorry, I'm not normally like that, but it is what it is. You know the ol "If the shoe fits" sorta thing.

oh no... I must have pre drilled to high and got a small spit..let me check my pics and see how bad they are(if they are even there)..

Since you want to nit pick. Your price should have a double baffle flushed with 45s and rounded over port edges.

BTW here is a pic of the box I'm doing right now for you..hmmm counter sunk? How does that happen...oh wait pre drilling with a counter sink bit.

IMAG0132.jpg

I would rather chance a very small spit then using a the slacker nailing method hand having lower quality build. I am done with your thread and won't bash it any more. I offered advice and you won't take it. Not much more can be done.

FYI, you can countersink without pre-drilling. Obviously you're not a woodworker, you're an enthusiast who thinks they know how things should be done because they heard someone else say it. Obviously 45s help, I don't disagree. I disagree that they are a necessity.

If you think any amount of splitting is more durable than brad nails and glue than it truly shows your lack of knowledge about woodworking and structural integrity.

Thank you for taking the high road and leaving AFTER bashing my thread.

FYI, you can countersink without pre-drilling. Obviously you're not a woodworker, you're an enthusiast who thinks they know how things should be done because they heard someone else say it. Obviously 45s help, I don't disagree. I disagree that they are a necessity.
If you think any amount of splitting is more durable than brad nails and glue than it truly shows your lack of knowledge about woodworking and structural integrity.

You can countersink with out pre drilling, however if you are doing that work you should use a bit at the same time. Do I condone cracking/spliting? Nope. Do I fix it if it happens yes. If anyone here builds using screws they all will tell you it happens from time to time even if you are pre drilling.

If you think nails are better then screws then there is not help. There have been many studies about this and I have done my own tests to figure out the best method of enclosure building. Most of the time faster is not always the best. Will nailing work, yes. Are screws better, yes. Do they both have their place, yes.

I am an enthusiast who has done various wood working for a long long time and still do on the side(as I do enclosures). However, my time spent in science now.

I was being nice, but if you would like to continue on that is fine. If nothing else it makes the day go by a little better.

If you would like, PM me and I will edit(delete) the posts if you want.

Only thing I will add to this conversation is that my first box 1.6cf tuned to 35hz with 32sq inches of port I did not use any 45's (I know I was young a dumb) and can you say port noise out the a ss... Later in the month built an exact replica of the above box this time using 45’s and rounded port edges and guess what zero port noise... I want sit here and say every design needs to have 45's used as I have no idea about that. But for my old box 45's in all corners made a night and day difference. The no 45's box got tossed on burn pile as it was a port noise monster. Same box with 45's has pounded its *** off for years. Has been is wife’s car for well over 2 years and still going strong. I will not even entertain having a box built unless 45’s, double baffle, rounded port edges and dowels are included. I don’t give a **** about losing or gaining a few db’s I care more about having a box that doesn’t sound like a donkey farting.

I would assume with shipping this box cost close to $200 correct??

Wow all this from a so called woodworker that did not know that glue does not stick worth a d amn to paint???? Hmm I would go out on a limb and say you’re no master woodworker correct.

This doesn't have to continue, we both know where we stand... but let me respond to these accusations.

I never said nails were better than screws, so please stop putting words in my mouth. Every joint on the this box IS screwed except where visible from outside of the trunk because he is painting it. I don't appreciate you making me look bad without reason, again.

Splits happen when pre-drilling is done with a bit that is too small for the screws being used. There is no excuse for splitting, but it is good that you try to correct it when it happens.

Only thing I will add to this conversation is that my first box 1.6cf tuned to 35hz with 32sq inches of port I did not use any 45's (I know I was young a dumb) and can you say port noise out the a ss... Later in the month built an exact replica of the above box this time using 45’s and rounded port edges and guess what zero port noise... I want sit here and say every design needs to have 45's used as I have no idea about that. But for my old box 45's in all corners made a night and day difference. The no 45's box got tossed on burn pile as it was a port noise monster. Same box with 45's has pounded its *** off for years. Has been is wife’s car for well over 2 years and still going strong. I will not even entertain having a box built unless 45’s, double baffle, rounded port edges and dowels are included. I don’t give a **** about losing or gaining a few db’s I care more about having a box that doesn’t sound like a donkey farting.
I would assume with shipping this box cost close to $200 correct??
First of all, if the box you built without 45s had port noise, that is a design flaw. 45s improve air flow, they don't make it.

So you would build a box for an 8" kicker comp with a double baffle, dowel and bracing? Every box is subwoofer dependent.

Actually the total price was $160 shipped and insured.

This doesn't have to continue, we both know where we stand... but let me respond to these accusations.
I never said nails were better than screws, so please stop putting words in my mouth. Every joint on the this box IS screwed except where visible from outside of the trunk because he is painting it. I don't appreciate you making me look bad without reason, again.

Splits happen when pre-drilling is done with a bit that is too small for the screws being used. There is no excuse for splitting, but it is good that you try to correct it when it happens.
My splitting was from my wife trying to help and drilling almost on the edge of the wood. I have easy access to medical supplies do to my profession and my wife's so I just grab a syringe with fill it with glue, use a clamp and inject clue clamp and inject glue again lol. Amazingly, it seems to hold together very well(I would bet better then MDF in the first place).

Never heard port noise in my boxes with no 45s.

And I'd really like to know what else 45s are good for in THIS box? Standing waves? I have taken physics, limited, but have.

OP, sorry about thread jacking, just trying to learn what I can do better with my boxes since I have never had a problem or complaint with them.

Never heard port noise in my boxes with no 45s.
And I'd really like to know what else 45s are good for in THIS box? Standing waves? I have taken physics, limited, but have.

OP, sorry about thread jacking, just trying to learn what I can do better with my boxes since I have never had a problem or complaint with them.
I will PM you some info when I get to the office later on today. No need to keep his thread going in the direction it is going.

OP-sorry, I should have PMed you with my comments and not posted them.

First of all, if the box you built without 45s had port noise, that is a design flaw. 45s improve air flow, they don't make it.
So you would build a box for an 8" kicker comp with a double baffle, dowel and bracing? Every box is subwoofer dependent.

Actually the total price was $160 shipped and insured.
No Sir it was not a design flaw... Plz explain to me why the exact same copy of the box now with 45's and rounded port edges made zero port noise?? Again I do not care what size sub or the weight of the sub is I will not use a box without a double baffle. Does it help no but the only reason to not do one is to cut your build cost down and pocket more cash. Do not come back with it adds un needed weight cause I doubt the 5 or so extra pounds hurts anything. It’s a cost saving measure plain and simple. The only reason a double baffle should not be used is if the customer states he does not want one.

Your price does not seem to be bad at all. The quality of the build looks to be very good too. In no way am I trying to say your box building skills are lacking. The only point I was trying to make is why skimp on something so easy to make but has the potential to help the box perform better. The 45's may or may not help one bit but it want hurt anything either so its a win win. Nonetheless I am sure whoever you built the box for will be pleased with it and that is really all that matters..

Box in my sig was made by Mike465 of AMI. Well over 3cf with 45's, double baffle, dowels, rounded port and it only cost a lil over $90 shipped to my house. I may have gotten a discount cause I am a repeat customer so for someone else it very well might cost more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.