Box build for MT18 PICS

nice!!!
I like the dowels I used in the box for my BTL, no flex at all compared to when I didn't use any dowels on a previous box design.
Oh yeah that btl was a beast! These dowels should hold up just fine for a mt.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif cant wait to get this in my truck.....

Im about to through a coat of black on the box.

-pics when im done

still drying... its so **** cold outside its takin forever to dry. I plan to do atleast a 2nd coat once the 1st dries.

boxp001bx4.jpg

boxp002md6.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif :laugh:

Try doing a build in MI's winter then bish about the cold.

Looking good tho...just regular spray paint?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif :laugh: Try doing a build in MI's winter then bish about the cold.

Looking good tho...just regular spray paint?
Oh I know dog I wouldn't survive up there lol

Yeah its just regular spray paint. Rust-oleum superior coverage and durability

Did you use any primer???

Jon
I was thinking about using primer, but this is just temperary until I can get it covered.

Its the same paint I used when I painted the port, and once it dried it was really thick and dark... so I decided not to use it on the outside either.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif :laugh: Try doing a build in MI's winter then bish about the cold.
I feel ya man. I've had a 1/2 built ~18 cuft box for my destroyers in my livingroom for 3 weeks. It's just too **** cold outside. Brrrrrr.

Interesting blurb from Audioque's site on bracing and double baffles:

http://www.audioque.com/aq/boxConstruction.htm

Box Construction

A strong box is essential in a high output system. Your box should be free from air leaks and braced internally if the volume exceeds 2 cuft. Internal cross bracing is far more effective in making a rigid box than doubling the wood thickness. Doubling the wood thickness adds a great deal of weight to your vehicle, and the added wall stiffness is less than stiffness added by cross bracing. Try to cross the braces at the same point so that they add strength to each other.

The inside seams of the enclosure can be a source of air leaks and potential weakness if the joints are not cut perfectly. One way to strengthen these joints is to use gluing cleats on the inside seams.

lets see the box with the final coats of paint
I havent even got to do a 2nd coat yet because of the cold weather.... hopfully this weekend itl worm up some and Il get some work in. and Il have pics fosho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Best bracing I have ever used is All-Thread threaded rod.
Not only is it reusable, but it braces from the inside and out, Wooden dowels only prevent the box from flexing in on itself, eventually if your box flexes enough, it can pull the glue/nail/screw joint apart.

Thats why you mainly see 2x4s and Allthread in SPL vehicles. Just a better way.
x2.

And if the all thread ever losens up, you can always torque it back down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

boxgzf4.jpg

My cats think this box is theirs, there goin to be mad once its in my truck

Tools for today... btw the weather is amazing today

boxg2rs7.jpg

boxg3by6.jpg

boxg4yg5.jpg

boxg5qj0.jpg

boxg6yb1.jpg

I just put on the second coat of paint... looks pretty good, Il have pics once it dries.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.