bought new amp and subs

folglalb
10+ year member

I bought a new amp and some subs..all kenwood stuff.. dunno how they are here recently, but its the loudest set up i've had so far, anyways.

my question is, i have a Amazon.com: Kenwood KAC-5204 350 Watt Max Power Stereo Amplifier with Variable LPF: Electronics

and KFC-W112S subs..

I actually think this is one of the Party Bass packages kenwood sales.

is it out of the question to bridge the amp and push these speakers at 150 rms?

or should i leave both speakers on two seperate channels?

how would you guys go about doing this? and im running the gain on the amp about 3/4s of the way up

Those subs are SVC4 ohm subs. Together they can be wired to 8 or 2ohms. 8ohms and you won't even hear them. 2 ohm your amp isn't stable at bridged. So no, you'll run them on their own channel. That ***** that your subs are 200watts a piece and you're only feeding them 120 combined.

And you don't just magically choose a location for your gain. It belongs in a certain position. Read up on gain setting or you'll blow your amp and/or subs

ty. yeah i bought them at best buy (dont hate) and it come with the 600watt kenwood amp, but then i turned around and got it installed at bestbuy (again dont hate, they did a decent job) buuuuut they took the 600watt out and put the 350watt in.....i fussed and raised a seen, but they told me thats what i bought, but who knows..i know they are douche bags and owe me a new amp.. thats why you dont shop at best buy...lesson learned.

Let me get this straight: They took out your preexisting amp and replaced it with a shittier one? Or did you buy a "package" that you THOUGHT was coming with a 600w amp but really came with a 350w?

There are 2 Kenwood "party packs" that you can buy: This one and this one. The first one comes with the 350w amp you say you have, but with two KFC-W110S 10" subs. The second one comes with a different, bigger amplifier, but with the two KFC-W112S 12" subs you say you have. If I'm reading this correctly, you got the bigger subs with the smaller amp, meaning you got jipped.

No, I bought a Open Package deal from them that included a 600watt amplifier, (2) 12's a box and wiring kit, and installation. The manager mentioned something that the amp was wrong, but I ended up going home that day with the 600watt amp. My appointment was for the next day, so I drop it off around 1:30 during my lunch hour, pick the truck back up at 5:00 when I got off work and the technician asked me if I wanted to look at everything, so I checked everything out, the grounds, turning signals, radio, speakers, etc...well, the amp was the only thing that was wrong..it wasn't a 600 watt, it was the 350 watt that comes in the actual package, but not what I left the store with. I argued with the tech that it was the wrong amp, but it didn't matter because I had Kenwood Party Bass package on my receipt and it was the correct amp for the package..not even the manager had an answer for me. So, I guess I won't shop at bestbuy for anything else and I dunno what I can do to get my 600 watt amp....>_:verymad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

They discontinued that pack due to the amp being discontinued (I think!!). But this is the package they said I bought.

Personally, I wouldn't have left that store until I got the bigger amp back. They gave you the bigger amp, that's their fault, not yours. They shouldn't have had any right to just take it back and put the other one in, ESPECIALLY since you had already gone home. If I were you, I'd just return every thing and get all your money back, and stay far, far away from best buy. From time to time you'll come across a good installer than knows what they're talking about, but most of the time, you'll have some ass-hat installer following a flowchart in the install bay...

The installer was very nice and knew his stuff, but I think it was the manager that did anyways. Doesn't really matter because I wasn't even gonna keep the 600w amp. I like kenwood speakers and subs, but not their amps. I figured out the answer to my question though, its 2-ohm stable bridged and the subs can be wired to 2 ohms. So I have my amp bridged and both speakers ran into the bridged connection...So, my speakers are 4ohm SVC and my amp is 2 ohm stable. so i have my speakers wired to 2ohms into the amp..I guess this is right? I will send pictures if need be. The installer at bestbuy just ran each speaker on its own channel, effectively 75wx2, but i ran it so its 150x1(x2)..if that makes sense....am I rambling or can someone tell me if what i did was right?

installer ran it 2ohm stereo, "optimal" for that amp. you ran it 2ohm bridged "unadvisable"..i dont know as much about Kenwood amps and how stable they are bridged at 2ohms, probably not very...those Kenwood subs are not horrible tho, there are certainly worse options out there. With a good amp, i have heard those subs sound very respectable.

The installer was very nice and knew his stuff, but I think it was the manager that did anyways. Doesn't really matter because I wasn't even gonna keep the 600w amp. I like kenwood speakers and subs, but not their amps. I figured out the answer to my question though, its 2-ohm stable bridged and the subs can be wired to 2 ohms. So I have my amp bridged and both speakers ran into the bridged connection...So, my speakers are 4ohm SVC and my amp is 2 ohm stable. so i have my speakers wired to 2ohms into the amp..I guess this is right? I will send pictures if need be. The installer at bestbuy just ran each speaker on its own channel, effectively 75wx2, but i ran it so its 150x1(x2)..if that makes sense....am I rambling or can someone tell me if what i did was right?
Not sure exactly what you're going for there in the blue, but 75x2 and 150x1 are the same thing. Either way, your subs are seeing 75 watts each. Maybe you should look at it more like 75x2 = 150x1(divided by 2 because its divided to 2 subs.)

^ exactly. 2ohm stereo equals 4ohm bridged mono...same output, just that the 2ohm stereo setting is the only stable setting at 2ohm, while at 4ohm you have bridged or stereo...but yes, there is no "150x1" "x2"...150x1 is at 4ohms, period. 75x2 is at 2ohm stereo, period.

Sorry for the mix up, the 1x150(2) just meant I was bridging both speakers, please forgive any lingo ingorance. Pretty new to this stuff. Wow, I didn't do my math. Regardless, I think I'm gonna pick up a new amp today. These puppies need more juice and their asking for it. So, I'm on the look out for something that's

in your price range there are many options that can give you the watts you need. Even a small mono such as a Kicker 300.1 (probly do about 375 or so) would be an option. If you insist on a 2 channel, which in your price range you dont need to because you dont need much wattage, there are also many options. there are many good brands. just do some reserach.

I did some more research about my amp, it puts out 75x2 @ 2 ohms, 60x2 @ 4 ohms, and 150x1 @ 4 ohms bridged, so its only recieving 120 rms total.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.