Bought a 1998 Corvette convertible. Need advice.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok. First of all. I'd like to know exactly what I would need to install an aftermarket cd player. I do have a decent single din Pioneer deck to go in it until I decide what to do next.

I'd like to know what size speakers are in the front doors. I'm getting reports that their is a sub in each door and some reports it's just a 6.5 inch midrange and a tweeter in the door and 6.5 in the back. But I am wanting to be positive on the matter. That way I order the correct replacement speakers.

I'd also like a pretty good sub setup in the trunk. Ideally I think a single 12 or 10 would be great. But open to the idea of 2 ported 8s. What would you guys recommend? I'm not interested in leaving any real space in the back other than audio equipment. And I do already have a Hifonics BRX 1101.D for a sub amp. I'm open to using the factory amp for my mids and highs to help keep cost down or even adding another Hifonics amp to handle my those highs. I've also got a Rockford Fosgate P3 I can put in the back but honestly I'd think if I got with a single sub, I'd like to go with a beefier higher wattage sub to handle the 1100 watts rms.

Brandon Buck. I know you are the guru on the matter. Shoot me some ideas.

Ok. First of all. I'd like to know exactly what I would need to install an aftermarket cd player. I do have a decent single din Pioneer deck to go in it until I decide what to do next. I'd like to know what size speakers are in the front doors. I'm getting reports that their is a sub in each door and some reports it's just a 6.5 inch midrange and a tweeter in the door and 6.5 in the back. But I am wanting to be positive on the matter. That way I order the correct replacement speakers.

I'd also like a pretty good sub setup in the trunk. Ideally I think a single 12 or 10 would be great. But open to the idea of 2 ported 8s. What would you guys recommend? I'm not interested in leaving any real space in the back other than audio equipment. And I do already have a Hifonics BRX 1101.D for a sub amp. I'm open to using the factory amp for my mids and highs to help keep cost down or even adding another Hifonics amp to handle my those highs. I've also got a Rockford Fosgate P3 I can put in the back but honestly I'd think if I got with a single sub, I'd like to go with a beefier higher wattage sub to handle the 1100 watts rms.

Brandon Buck. I know you are the guru on the matter. Shoot me some ideas.
As for what is oem in the car, I use crutchfield.com for most of my vehicle research for what will and won't fit, very helpful dude.

I'm not interested in leaving any real space in the back other than audio equipment.
That's the spirit!

I'd also use Crutchfield to figure out sizes of door speakers, or you may also check if q-forms sells kick panel enclosures for that model. IMO worth every penny for ease of install and good imaging (get a couple square feet of deadener and you're good to go). How much trunk space exactly do you have for a box?

Haven't seen Buck on here in a while.

That's the spirit!
I'd also use Crutchfield to figure out sizes of door speakers, or you may also check if q-forms sells kick panel enclosures for that model. IMO worth every penny for ease of install and good imaging (get a couple square feet of deadener and you're good to go). How much trunk space exactly do you have for a box?

Haven't seen Buck on here in a while.
Not tons of trunk space but I think enough for a single beefy ported 12

Not tons of trunk space but I think enough for a single beefy ported 12
You'll need more of a cubic inches type answer to make an informed choice on sub(s). Consider also allowing adequate clearance in front of the port so that it functions correctly.

Stereo Integrity makes a 12 inch sub, hst12mkll, that only needs .6cuft sealed, it is almost a foot deep though, but it is 2000wrms. I will be running one in the near future. My box is 15 x 15 x 15, double walled through out, yielding 1cuft. Just an idea dude. It looks just like a sundown zv5 12.

I may just go with those cubby hole type stealth boxes with a 10. Anyone hear those in person and know what kind of response they have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trunk is 12 inches deep by

48 inches wide by 40 inches width. So there is space back there. I think a single beefy 12 would do just fine back there. Ported prefered with an amp rack

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.