Boston G5 Power Hungry?

Figured I would bump this oldie with a little more info. I've had a 10" G5 for around 14 years. 3 different amps on it. 1st was 300W Alpine. Upgraded to 500W Kenwood and noticed a small increase in output. I recently bought a JP23 amp rated at 800ish watts at 4ohm to it. I probably didn't hit all 800 but the larger amp made the sub pound noticeably harder. 0.5 cubic foot sealed box.

So, don't be afraid to the some real power at these subs. It really wakes them up in a major way.

G5s are out there used but the sellers want upwards of $500 for them. G5s are some of the best subs ever made and I am a huge Boston Acoustics fan but I personally would never pay over $200 for a new in box G5.

You can find some of the SPS drop in recones but most for sale are for the G3 not the G5.

I have been buying reasonably priced BA subs whenever I find them. I currently own 11 G1s amidst my collection of 65 subs lol. Really regret selling my G5s 8 years ago.

As far as being power hungry that is 100% untrue of any BA sub. All BA subs are very efficient and need very little power to get moving. They're made with foam surrounds and lightweight poly cones. Inherent very light moving mass, combined with a soft suspension allow a high efficiency and ability to provide excellent SQ. Its really a shame that BA has been reduced to a name with no budget for engineering or plans to put anything into production.

Last edited:
G5s are out there used but the sellers want upwards of $500 for them. G5s are some of the best subs ever made and I am a huge Boston Acoustics fan but I personally would never pay over $200 for a new in box G5.

You can find some of the SPS drop in recones but most for sale are for the G3 not the G5.

I have been buying reasonably priced BA subs whenever I find them. I currently own 11 G1s amidst my collection of 65 subs lol. Really regret selling my G5s 8 years ago.
I have about 100 subs in my collection....I think only 1 g1 my only Boston it may be a g2 .... but the G5 sounds like the perfect sub for my 93 Camaro . I hate they are so high now ..but like you id pay $200 plus shipping for a nice one ... I may see if I can fit a type R and replace my oroginal Polk Momo 10 . Great sound but can't seem to take 500rms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.