Boston Acoustics GT-2125 Review

Got the sub connected today. SUCCESS! Luckily I had some ring terminals left over from a previous project because I forgot the bolts on my SMS box were 1/4", not 1/8". Anywho, with everything hooked up and playing, I realized that my gain estimate of 300 was conservative at best and dialed up just a hair more (so probably around 350W right now) as well as enabled the HPF and set it for around 28Hz to act as a subsonic. I set the LPF on my HU to 63Hz with a 24db/oct slope (Love this Eclipse). The results is nice, tight, punchy bass that I was previously unable to obtain from any of my past amps. It's almost enough to make the claim that A/B power on subs really is a different sound, but I attribute it more to the fact that the ID10 is getting real power now.

So at this point, it's going to be a lengthy process finding the fair balance between keeping the bass punchy without causing the tweeters to go sibilant. This will be fun.

Oh another note:

I was wondering why my sub wasn't playing at first and checked the connections only to find the negative wire to the amp had come loose. Make sure you can use an allen key long enough to put the short side into the hole for the screw and still get purchase on it. And those using 10ga wiring will also have fun keeping the wire from fraying as you insert it. I would follow the same practice of tinning the wire with solder just to keep the ends together.

FINAL NOTE in my rant, I swear. Let this be a lesson learned that it is a HORRIBLE idea to try moving a giant sub box to fit in next to my amps with the seats still raised. The Kenwood amp took a nice sacrifice from my left pinky:

IMG_0329%5B1%5D.JPG

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Nice review man.
Thanks. I plan to do a video review using the 60D to hopefully get some of the sub to play through and attach it to the MS62c review thread, but really have to tweak this EQ first.

Sorry if I missed this-- are you running a final impedance of 2 or 4? I gotta admit I have been peddling back through a good amount of threads where posters are asking if they should run a 2125 / 2200 or various Class D's at 1 Ohm. Brutal- Not much for SQ at 1 Ohm. I have run the new Zed Minotaur at 2 / 4 and Kronos at 4 and it was extremely powerful and articulate. Much better than most run of the mill class D blocks at 1 ohm and 1.21 gigiwatts. These Bostons are tough to beat and the pricing at sonic is redonk. I snagged 2 of the 2200, 2 of the 2125 and found a refurb direct from boston on a 4100. Lovin it. These amps are being passed over in the race to go small class D. If you have the room I highly recommend these-- Very Clean and powerful.

Sorry if I missed this-- are you running a final impedance of 2 or 4? I gotta admit I have been peddling back through a good amount of threads where posters are asking if they should run a 2125 / 2200 or various Class D's at 1 Ohm. Brutal- Not much for SQ at 1 Ohm. I have run the new Zed Minotaur at 2 / 4 and Kronos at 4 and it was extremely powerful and articulate. Much better than most run of the mill class D blocks at 1 ohm and 1.21 gigiwatts. These Bostons are tough to beat and the pricing at sonic is redonk. I snagged 2 of the 2200, 2 of the 2125 and found a refurb direct from boston on a 4100. Lovin it. These amps are being passed over in the race to go small class D. If you have the room I highly recommend these-- Very Clean and powerful.
Wish I had the budget atm for a new Zed, but the Boston has actually done pretty well for me. I'm running it at 2 ohms bridged, to answer your question.

Yeah, it really confuses me as to why as well. The 2125 is about a small as a lot of the consumer-level Class D amps I've come across, but I imagine it probably also has to do with wanting a system with less strain on the car's electrical.

After my experience with this as a monoblock, I'm tempted to play around with it as a 2-channel. The OS Kenwood is pretty impressive, but I feel like I should stock up on a few of theses 2125s while they're still being distributed instead of having to find them on the used or NOS market.

Just a FYI, everyone, the Boston amps are selling out quick on Sonic Electronix. I just went on to see if they still had the GT2200 and it's no longer listed. The 275 and 2125 still are, though. 80 bucks for the 275.

Just a FYI, everyone, the Boston amps are selling out quick on Sonic Electronix. I just went on to see if they still had the GT2200 and it's no longer listed. The 275 and 2125 still are, though. 80 bucks for the 275.

I don't find these Bostons to be the current hogs that some A/B amps can be.
Neither do I. Kinda surprised by the power output for something only fused at 40A. Total fusing in my car is 80A right now. Never thought I'd say that.

I love how Boston amps have the slider mounting tabs so you can mount them on a variety of different sized surfaces
Definitely. Just wish they weren't made of plastic. Making sure I drilled down in the right spots was hard since I didn't want to break one of the tabs. Kept having to check and recheck that I was in the right spot.

I don't know what the exact makeup of the feet are, but they appear to be a little more than your standard HDPE. It's surprising what they can come up with. This coupled with Aluminum feet not sliding / wearing well over the long term it was probably an excellent choice. If the amp was engineered properly and it certainly seems so-- every piece / part serves a purpose.

Just picked up a GT-2125! I will be using it for my mids/highs though. Probably a set of MS-62c's as well.

I haven't been able to hook up the amp to anything, but I really am impressed with it. For having a fan and 125x2 it's about the same size as the JBL GTO 752 I used to have. The only thing I don't care for is the cover plate for the wires and crossovers. Just more screws to undo, not a big deal since I usually set and forget and it helps clean up the amp's appearance.

If I can finally work up the nerve to mess with my new truck and install a system or at least do the wiring, i can finally see what the amp is capable of. I hate having equipment sitting around while I have been dealing with Ford OEM speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

neo_styles

10+ year member
AKA Pop Twidget
neo_styles
WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies