Bose system replacement

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jon Erikson

LA
I have a '91 Nissan Maxima with a stock Bose sound system. Sounds like CRAP. But looking thru the Bose website it sounds like they are recommending you don't touch anything, because the system is designed for the car, is nonstandard, etc, etc.

Am I going to face a losing battle if I try to make this thing sound good, and will I have to scrap everything and get all new components?

Also, I know nothing about car stereo, but I assume I'll need an external amp, new CD changer, new CD/Radio dash unit, and maybe new speakers. Am I crazy to just go to GoodGuys and let them tell me what's best? Thanks.

I have a '90 maxima: http://communities.msn.com/buymymaxima/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

and to do it right, just count on starting from scratch. If you try to piece it together with the Bose stuff, you will be fighting a losing battle.

You can start with the front speakers...these you can change without any issues. Get an installer that can replace those crappy 5x7's with a good component set. Don't let them hack the door panels, tell them to install the tweeters right in front of the mids, like a coax.

Next would be the deck. When you put in a new CD deck...have them run wires to the trunk for the amp. You will probably loose the rear speakers, but as old as they are they are probably shot anyway. That's fine just run with your components up front.

Next would be subs and a good amp. Get yourself a good pair of subs, a good amp, and now run your components off your amp along wth your subs.

Tada...you have yourself a decent system. If you then want to take it to the next level, have your components moved from your doors to the kick panels...they sound great in that car. Then have your floor hacked up and put 8's in the floor boards, buy a bunch of studio gear, loose the trunk and do everything in black leather...

Okay...sorry...I digress...have fun...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.