BMW E60 adding an AMP

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mattie301

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone!

First of all I am new to this forum and looking for some answers to to add an AMP to my stock bmw setup.
At the moment my stock audio system looks like this:

So as you can see, it is not great but also not that bad. The thing I really dislike the most is the volume, its really low when I use the aux port.
I figured out it was time to take a look at this and figure something out with the possibility to upgrade or add some speakers down the road.
I also want to keep my stock head-unit because there is to much data from the car going to this and I don't want to get rid of it. Also I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this!

So I came up with the following:
Because the stock head-unit doesn't have any RCA outputs on it, I would have to use an AMP that supports High level inputs (if I'm not mistaken).
I found this JBL GTR-7535 5 Channel AMP and it does support HLI, but through the RCA inputs on the AMP.

So I've done some research on how to make this connection work. I will splice the stock speaker wires on the back of the head-unit and run 2x 8 cables to the back of the car.
Then I would have to connect the speaker outputs of the amp to the stock harness, but before coming to that I would have to connect the wires from the head-unit to the RCA inputs on the AMP. I already know which wire would be for which speaker, see diagram (Don't mind the blue outlines, couldn't find one without):

So it should be quite simple to do this, at least I think. So I want to know if it is possible to just wire on some RCA plugs on the cables that I will run from the head-unit to the amp.
I would have to put the AMP on the High level input, but will this work? Or do I really need a RCA line convertor?

I'm also looking at buying some new under seat subwoofers when the time is right. This 5 channel Amp supports a sub output of 2Ω: 350Wrms x 1 or 4Ω: 200Wrms x 1. The subwoofers I'm looking to install are 120Wrms @ 3Ω. Now I don't really want to install a separate amp just to power both of the subwoofers independently. Is it possible to wire the under seat subwoofers in serie or parallel on the same port?

Check out 5series.net they have some really good info over there. If you have the hifi package which is stock in the US, it's really easy. You can wire RCA's up to the low level input of the stock amp. I did it with my sub amp, works great. I don't recall the wires off hand, there should be a diagram over there. The stock hu actually has full range output with the hifi setup. If you don't have hifi, there is a way it can be coded in easily enough. Just do a little research. Took me 30 mins to get my sub going in my E60 because everything is already in the trunk. Good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.