Blown fuse or worse?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bird

“Do not go gentle into that good night”
Florida
Full disclosure, I have absolutely no clue abt car audio. A few years ago, I installed a simple, cheap BT head unit in my ‘08 Camry (w/o Nav, no JBL). Being that I’m amateur hour, I wired it with electrical tape. Everything was good until some idiot hit and ruined my car. I then got an ‘09 Camry, same deal- no Nav, no JBL… I decided to take old head unit, all wires still taped together with same old tape, and put it in my new car. I plugged it in to make sure it would work first, and it did. I had sound and everything. However, as I was trying to fit the cheap plastic dash kit/radio into the slot, some of the tape got loose. Then I heard those noises you probably don’t want to hear. Sounded like some sort of audible interference. I pulled everything back out and noticed a bunch of wires had come lose and were touching each other. Wires that I’m sure are not supposed to be together. Lol

I then took everything out and re wired everything correctly. Plugged the unit back in and nothing. No power at all. I grabbed the stock radio that I know works and still nothing. What is most likely the cause? What should I check? Fuse? Anything else? Thank you for any help!

The radio likely has a fuse under the hood or in the passenger compartment. It’s possible it’d be combined with another lower voltage item like the lighter or courtesy lights.

Yeah it sure doesn’t.
It mentions the potential of the Camrys radio not working. This apparently is not uncommon. It also mentions the possibility of the antenna coming disconnected bc this causes similar symptoms. One person had a crack in the terminal on the rear speaker. Another thought is the cooling fan in the back clogged w dust and overheated.
There’s fuses under hood and ds footwell.

Well I just found the 15amp radio fuse under the hood was indeed blown. I replaced it but still no power. This is definitely my doing. It was working fine until I pulled it out and touched wires incorrectly. I found another radio fuse under the steering column. It’s a 7.5 mini fuse. The plastic is a little dark on one side so it’s hard to tell if it’s intact or not. Question: would both of these radio fuses blow? Is that a common thing?

Well I just found the 15amp radio fuse under the hood was indeed blown. I replaced it but still no power. This is definitely my doing. It was working fine until I pulled it out and touched wires incorrectly. I found another radio fuse under the steering column. It’s a 7.5 mini fuse. The plastic is a little dark on one side so it’s hard to tell if it’s intact or not. Question: would both of these radio fuses blow? Is that a common thing?
Usually there will be a fuse under the hood, or in the cluster in the vehicle for the radio. Most radios/HU will have one on the back of it as well. Check that one also. If it looks even close to some type of discoloration, replace it. They are cheap

I got it working again. Turns out both fuses were blown. The 15amp under the hood, and the 7.5 under the steering wheel. Thx everyone for the assistance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...