Bit by the bass bug but need to stay practical

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
So for the first time in about 10 years I decided to install a stereo system in my truck. I wanted to keep some under seat storage and I am limited on room because I have two car seats. I bought a skar vd-10 and a prefab sealed box at .8 cube. I was pretty pleased with it its output and sq up until last week when for a laugh I put my old re hc 15" in with a tiny sealed box. It played so much lower and louder it was great only problem is theres no way I can fit a 15" in my truck not to mention that sub really needs a 4 cube box ported nice and low. So by the time I took the 15 out and started playing the 10 again I was already broken. The lack of low end and output compared to the 15 leaves me wanting more. So the question is with my limited space how can I get more. I was thinking of either getting a seat lift kit and squeezing ever inch of space out of it and making a ported box for the vd or possibly doing a center console box so I dont have to lift the seat. So my main question is am I ever going to get the output I want and low end out of a 10 without making a huge crazy box?

I know people are doing amazing things with small subs and box design but you really think that they would solve my low end problems? Why would that be better than my 10 or 8's?

So you have a single cab truck?? Id do a center console for like an XFL-10 or a SQubed HDS310 port rear,and get some power on it.Ive seen some and heard some fantastic console enclosures..ported and sealed

My old friend Shadow that is into SQ..had an Arc 1K rms12 in a sealed enclosure running off a Genisis amp,and some HKs up front along with others and that joker was clean and B-azz.One hell of a setup he had going on in that s-cab truck.I think his doors weighed in at 100#s+

Oh I'm sorry I thought I put my trucks info up. It's a 2011 f-150 super crew. The room under the seat is 8 inches in the front 5 in the back and it's about 13 deep. I can go pretty wide but I like having a little under seat storage.

Oh ok. I get it. I actually designed an enclosure from Sketchup that mocks that area.

Would you consider 2 high output 8's?

Where do you plan on mounting an amp?

Oh ok. I get it. I actually designed an enclosure from Sketchup that mocks that area.
Would you consider 2 high output 8's?

Where do you plan on mounting an amp?
I will be honest I am open to anything as long as it will get reasonably low and loud. I was hoping to be able to do it with my 10" because I have it and I am cheap but if its not an option than that's fine. I feel like my 10 is almost loud enough in the 50hz range but it literally has no low end. What im looking for is something that you can really feel in your chest maybe bounce the empty can in the cup holder around a little bit haha. Certainly not looking for a spl build or an ultra sq built just a nice loud low setup. And to give you an idea my re hc 15" in a small sealed box im guessing 1.5 cubic feet is loud enough and definitely low enough its just way to big.

I already have the amp mounted behind the seat. It is a rockville rxd-m3. Its a budget oriented amp I kind of wish I got the cab but I think it will be plenty of power for me the "CEA" sheet said 1003 watts at 1 ohm.

I've seen a handfull of boxes that fit that truck but you're going to have to give up the space. you could fit a sundown SD 12s ported tuned low pretty easily..
Do you have a picture of the sd 12 in that year truck I am curious how they did it. Do you remember if the bottom was fiberglass? Im not really sure how a 12" with that depth would fit under my seat. My current box if I remember correctly is 8.5" in the front and 5 inches in the rear. Then you need to give the sub 2 inches of clearance so the surround doesn't hit the floor at full excursion so the actual box size would be 6.5" in the front to 3" subtract 1/2" for an mdf back and theirs no way that I can see a sub with a 5.25 depth fitting.

Anyway that's my take on it I could very well be wrong and would love input.

The boxes i've seen were down-firing wood boxes money.. Can you put a nut or spacers on the seats bolts to bring it up higher? i just did a basic search and gound alot of stuff
Its not as easy as just spacing the seat that's why I was talking about getting the seat lift kit. The box I have now is also a downfiring box and literally as tall as you can build a box and it wouldnt come close to fitting that 5.25" depth sub with leaving enough room for excursion. So your opinion is I the best way to get what I want is to lift the seat and throw a ported 12" in there.

yea. Id spend hte extra and get a lift kit and do a single decent 12. Id suggest getting someone build a good custom box. i'm sure you could throw something better under the seat and it would be much closer to the 15...

if you can get another 2"s in mounting dept your GOLDEN.. you can put a ton of decent woofers in there..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.