Big 3 Questions on 02 explorer

Participant count
  • Participant list

skrilla22
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm about to do the big 3 on my 02 explorer, but i'm kind of an idiot when it comes to being under the hood of a car, but i'm tryin to please don't flame me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm not really sure where a good bolt on the engine block would be.. anyone with pics that could show me?

also when i connect bat - to chassis, i just use the same chassis bolt to then connect to the engine block, correct?

thanks for the help.

AltPos.jpg

Now another dumb question: would this be chassis? its on the metal frame, but should i use something like in the next picture? or would it not matter?

greenground.jpg

Chas.jpg

do this

1) alt positive to battery positive

2) see the negative terminal on the battery? see the wire that comes off it and is attached to the car? thats your chassis ground. add on a new wire there and sand the paint to get a good connection.

3) forget the engine block to chassis ground. go straight from the alt case to the negative battery terminal. why go to the chassis and possibly result in a bad ground (not likely but still possible) when you can go straight to the negative terminal on the battery and get a guaranteed perfect ground?

for step 3: see how you have 3 bolts holding the alt to the engine? and see how the bolt on top as that little metal ear holding the positive wire in the air? remove that top bolt and metal ear, and attach your wire run to that point and put the bolt and ear on top of that and tighten it down. then take the wire run and attach straight to the batt neg.

forget the engine to chassis ground, there is a better alternative.

Heres mine on 04 Explorer....you have to break a lil of the plastic off the alt bolt surround to get a 1/0 ring terminal on it...at least i did

big3001.jpg

big3005.jpg

big3004.jpg

Thats the only one i bothered doing

I also got pics of gettin a hc2400 in there

Heres mine on 04 Explorer....you have to break a lil of the plastic off the alt bolt surround to get a 1/0 ring terminal on it...at least i did
big3001.jpg

big3005.jpg

big3004.jpg

can you post pics of getting the kinetik in there?

and BTW, i too had to break the little plastic nub off the alt to fit a 1/0 ring terminal and so did a buddy. both explorers, but im sure its pretty common with just about all alternators.

can you post pics of getting the kinetik in there?
and BTW, i too had to break the little plastic nub off the alt to fit a 1/0 ring terminal and so did a buddy. both explorers, but im sure its pretty common with just about all alternators.
Yehhh i had to do that on my Civic....crazy engineers...they knew we was gonna wanna put 1/0 ring terminals on it

But when i said pics of it goin in i just meant its in haha....but mann it was a ***** cuz i didnt know how to do it at first haha.

But i trimmed the batt tray sides and put it in sideways and it fits like it was meant to go in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Ill get pics tomm

Yehhh i had to do that on my Civic....crazy engineers...they knew we was gonna wanna put 1/0 ring terminals on it
But when i said pics of it goin in i just meant its in haha....but mann it was a ***** cuz i didnt know how to do it at first haha.

But i trimmed the batt tray sides and put it in sideways and it fits like it was meant to go in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Ill get pics tomm
sweet cause i would like to fit a nice g31 or so upfront.

i know i gotta cut them, but it would be nice to see it before i start cutting so that i can kinda see what would work the best

Yehh i just took the tray out and just cut all the ends off so just the bottom was left so it could sit on it and it fit right in after that but ill get some pics tomm in daylight...i might change my terminal to

Yehh i just took the tray out and just cut all the ends off so just the bottom was left so it could sit on it and it fit right in after that but ill get some pics tomm in daylight...i might change my terminal to
im assuming you just buy a strap or something to hold it down?

im assuming you just buy a strap or something to hold it down?
Yehh you can....but i did not...it wont move if its on the original tray.....but yeh could could still strap it to the original tray, just cut a slit in it and run something through and around...but pics in 20min maybe

big3001.jpg

i had to break both sides off in my explorer also. best way to do this is by using a large flat head screw driver when its cold out.

do this
1) alt positive to battery positive

2) see the negative terminal on the battery? see the wire that comes off it and is attached to the car? thats your chassis ground. add on a new wire there and sand the paint to get a good connection.

3) forget the engine block to chassis ground. go straight from the alt case to the negative battery terminal. why go to the chassis and possibly result in a bad ground (not likely but still possible) when you can go straight to the negative terminal on the battery and get a guaranteed perfect ground?

for step 3: see how you have 3 bolts holding the alt to the engine? and see how the bolt on top as that little metal ear holding the positive wire in the air? remove that top bolt and metal ear, and attach your wire run to that point and put the bolt and ear on top of that and tighten it down. then take the wire run and attach straight to the batt neg.

forget the engine to chassis ground, there is a better alternative.
Ok, thanks for the indepth reply man. I think I understand it all. I'm goin to do it here in a little bit, and i'll take a couple pictures before I connected them back on the terminals just to be 100% sure I did it correctly.

Also thanks to the other guys for the pics.

Yeah I think I read somewhere people recommend you fuse alt pos to bat pos, but its necessary. I do have a kicker fuse holder/300a fuse, so you think i should just use it or nah?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.