Better than JL Audio 12W7?

gunz4me2
10+ year member

Bat Country
Louisiana
In the spirit of this forum from over a decade ago, what sub is better than a JL Audio 12w7 for less money that will perform better in approximately the same ported enclosure?

I'll allow 12" Dual 2 ohm sub as a variance because getting the power to move one 12w7 @ 3 ohms could be quite expensive, unless I go with a 2 ohm Brazilian amplifier. The things I will hold everyone to is I want a similar FS (27.2 Hz or lower) and a similar XMax spec (29mm) with something that handles 1,000 watts RMS.

In other words, don't recommend some 12" SPL sub with a Xmax of 19 mm and a FS of 40 Hz because I already know about those... I want more along the lines of something that sounds good with the ability to play loud versus something that plays loud with the ability to sound good with enough equalization.

Would this sub fit the bill? Just askin! Right at $500

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-135559_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-135559_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 464
The sub I showed you the specs on was this one. View attachment 19009
I'm afraid that sub will laugh at 1,000 watts RMS and I'd really like to keep my power on the lower side, 1,500 total watts RMS or less, since electrical will start getting rather expensive for a 2019 WRX. Granted, I'm certain an alternator with two or three lithium ion 12v batteries would do the trick to beef up my electrical for music.

1. That ab requires double the power than that w7
2. W7s can be had for $500 so not applicable to your requirement
3.ur box tuning will go a long way to impacting roll off and response in those low frequencies
4. A d2 15” might be your easiest and most cost effective route to a 30fs woofer

I'm afraid that sub will laugh at 1,000 watts RMS and I'd really like to keep my power on the lower side, 1,500 total watts RMS or less, since electrical will start getting rather expensive for a 2019 WRX. Granted, I'm certain an alternator with two or three lithium ion 12v batteries would do the trick to beef up my electrical for music.

My bad then. Maybe, look at the HD12d2 or HD15 for around $299.

1. That ab requires double the power than that w7
2. W7s can be had for $500 so not applicable to your requirement
3.ur box tuning will go a long way to impacting roll off and response in those low frequencies
4. A d2 15” might be your easiest and most cost effective route to a 30fs woofer

I thought we were talking about the cost of brand new subs. Not, a used W7 price. Sorry

I thought we were talking about the cost of brand new subs. Not, a used W7 price. Sorry
I'm talking about new unless one of my friends happens to be letting go of a W7 for cheap. I generally stay away from used subwoofers UNLESS they happen to come from someone that I know. There are too many idiots out there doing dumb stuff to trust just anyone with used subs. Besides, I've been burned way too many times buying used.

I second the SSA line. I like their products and customer service.
I guess I could give them a second chance. Years ago, like close to ten years ago, they sold me an amplifier that was touted as being in-stock, charged my card immediately, and it arrived 3.5 weeks later. THAT is why I never really used SSA again... Why? Because how dare they give me a chance to change my mind on an impulsive decision!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.