Better SQ - JL 10w3v2 or IA i10?

g35chick
10+ year member

I was about to buy a pair of IA i10's to replace my w3's, but after talking to my friend (who works at the car audio place I go to), he seemed to think I was crazy for thinking of getting rid of my w3's without knowing exactly what's wrong with them. So, I'm going to have him look at them this week at some point.

However, I feel like I could sell my w3's for more than the price of 2 IA i10's... so I'm wondering, would that be an upgrade or a downgrade on my current system? I have a 500/1 and 1.2^3ft sealed to work with.

If you wanna upgrade from the w3 then the w6 is what you would want.

EDIT: If it's a pair then you will need more power to get the most out of the w6's.

I wasn't impressed with my 10w3V2s in a sealed enclosure. I think the modeled F3 point was between 50 and 60 Hz with .6 cubic feet per 10. As a result, I had no sub bass, but midbass was impressive.

EDIT I was close... Here is how they model in 1.2 for both:

Type: Closed Box

Shape: Prism, square

Vb = 1.2 cu.ft

Qtc = 0.697

F3 = 53.01 Hz

Fill = heavy

One more thing. Power and EQ only went so far with them because it didn't take much to push those subs to their mechanical limits. I tried them ported with less power, and while impressive, they unloaded rather easily.

Definitely can't get a pair of W6's... way out of my price range. The IA i10 is only $99... if it's ANY improvement on my W3's, i'll take it.

Honestly, I love my W3's, but they don't sound great in my enclosure, first of all, and second, they're damaged in some way... the surrounds were destroyed about a month into owning them (they weren't stored properly by the guy I bought them from)... I refoamed them and while they don't rub in the center, they don't sound good. Can't figure it out, but like I said, I'm taking it to my friend to have them looked at this week. Also, my hardheaded ex who thought he knew everything about car audio wired my subs completely wrong... hooked up a positive and a negative from the amp to ONE terminal on each of the subs... figured that out relatively recently when I took them out of the box to test them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif So, I'm preeeettty sure wiring only one of the coils did some damage. I bought the pair for $90 though, so I'm not too upset.

I need to stay under $150 each (and that's max) and I want to see a noticeable improvement in SQ. My W3's (when they were working..) sounded great for being wired completely wrong AND being in a small box, lol.

I really would love to hear from someone whose heard both of these... I think the i10's might do a little better in my enclosure than the w3's.

Definitely can't get a pair of W6's... way out of my price range. The IA i10 is only $99... if it's ANY improvement on my W3's, i'll take it.
Honestly, I love my W3's, but they don't sound great in my enclosure, first of all, and second, they're damaged in some way... the surrounds were destroyed about a month into owning them (they weren't stored properly by the guy I bought them from)... I refoamed them and while they don't rub in the center, they don't sound good. Can't figure it out, but like I said, I'm taking it to my friend to have them looked at this week. Also, my hardheaded ex who thought he knew everything about car audio wired my subs completely wrong... hooked up a positive and a negative from the amp to ONE terminal on each of the subs... figured that out relatively recently when I took them out of the box to test them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif So, I'm preeeettty sure wiring only one of the coils did some damage. I bought the pair for $90 though, so I'm not too upset.

I need to stay under $150 each (and that's max) and I want to see a noticeable improvement in SQ. My W3's (when they were working..) sounded great for being wired completely wrong AND being in a small box, lol.

I really would love to hear from someone whose heard both of these... I think the i10's might do a little better in my enclosure than the w3's.
I personally would have considered a single high end 12 inch subwoofer in the space you have. The 10s may have a bit more SPL and power handling potential due to more cone area, but a 12 will have a lower resonance frequency and better deep bass extension compared to a 10 of the same family. If you can spend up to $300, you can find a dead sexay SQ subwoofer for that price. One very good example is the Scanspeak Discovery subwoofer sold by Madisound here. It's a clone of the famous Peerless XXLS subwoofer (of which there existed many many editions from auto to home audio tailored versions). The current Peerless XXLS subs I believe are made in China or some other asian country buy the Scanspeak version is supposedly made in Europe. These were tested subjectively as well as on a Klippel, and confirmed to be among the nicest cleanest sounding subwoofers. In fact below is a link comparing this subwoofer to a JL Audio W3:

Review, ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/4558T 12" Subwoofer - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

DIYMA Car Audio Forum

Scanspeak Discovery and Peerless XXLS (the later sold by parts express and madisound) only come in 4ohm versions. However, the sensitivity is so good that 300watts is enough to reach xmax excursion. I'd put it into this box

Another good SQ subwoofer is JBL W12GTI series. Enough has been said about these. It may be possible to find one on sale for around $300.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.