Better coils

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
Hey all, been a minute.

I've been running two FI 15" ib3s in the Camry for well over two years now and im curious if i can fix a current issue.

The IB3s don't come with a recommendation for rms. They only give you a (600rms at 20hz) recommendation.

I really wanted too try and push these well past their limits and ive succeeded. They will do a 143.2 on around 3k-ish. (Wolfram 3k)

Here's the thing...they realllly dont like that much power but will only thermally protest. I've had them get smelly over and over since i first installed them 2 years ago. Ill only demo 2-3 songs before i turn them down but they have yet to fail on me. Currently i have around a 12hz hpf and the full 3k on them and they wont even come close to xmax. They have 34mm of xmax 1 way.

I emailed FI about rms rating on the 3" coils and they gave me a 800-1200rms per. Just from my own testing, id say 1200 per is too much.

It all seems like a huge waste of potential. Raising the HPF, i feel like i should be able to get quite a bit louder considering the power vs excursion balance.

So im curious, is it possible to get a recone from another company that'd allow me to reach my goals?

Hey all, been a minute.

I've been running two FI 15" ib3s in the Camry for well over two years now and im curious if i can fix a current issue.

The IB3s don't come with a recommendation for rms. They only give you a (600rms at 20hz) recommendation.

I really wanted too try and push these well past their limits and ive succeeded. They will do a 143.2 on around 3k-ish. (Wolfram 3k)

Here's the thing...they realllly dont like that much power but will only thermally protest. I've had them get smelly over and over since i first installed them 2 years ago. Ill only demo 2-3 songs before i turn them down but they have yet to fail on me. Currently i have around a 12hz hpf and the full 3k on them and they wont even come close to xmax. They have 34mm of xmax 1 way.

I emailed FI about rms rating on the 3" coils and they gave me a 800-1200rms per. Just from my own testing, id say 1200 per is too much.

It all seems like a huge waste of potential. Raising the HPF, i feel like i should be able to get quite a bit louder considering the power vs excursion balance.

So im curious, is it possible to get a recone from another company that'd allow me to reach my goals?

How do ya like that amp?

Attachments

• 20190329_001450.jpg
    20190329_001450.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 237
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.