Better coils

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
Sep 22, 2013
Western Oregon
Hey all, been a minute.

I've been running two FI 15" ib3s in the Camry for well over two years now and im curious if i can fix a current issue.

The IB3s don't come with a recommendation for rms. They only give you a (600rms at 20hz) recommendation.

I really wanted too try and push these well past their limits and ive succeeded. They will do a 143.2 on around 3k-ish. (Wolfram 3k)

Here's the thing...they realllly dont like that much power but will only thermally protest. I've had them get smelly over and over since i first installed them 2 years ago. Ill only demo 2-3 songs before i turn them down but they have yet to fail on me. Currently i have around a 12hz hpf and the full 3k on them and they wont even come close to xmax. They have 34mm of xmax 1 way.

I emailed FI about rms rating on the 3" coils and they gave me a 800-1200rms per. Just from my own testing, id say 1200 per is too much.

It all seems like a huge waste of potential. Raising the HPF, i feel like i should be able to get quite a bit louder considering the power vs excursion balance.

So im curious, is it possible to get a recone from another company that'd allow me to reach my goals?

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Contact Dave Leib or Corey Dean. They will get you setup. Dave has built multiple recones for me.

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Hey all, been a minute.

I've been running two FI 15" ib3s in the Camry for well over two years now and im curious if i can fix a current issue.

The IB3s don't come with a recommendation for rms. They only give you a (600rms at 20hz) recommendation.

I really wanted too try and push these well past their limits and ive succeeded. They will do a 143.2 on around 3k-ish. (Wolfram 3k)

Here's the thing...they realllly dont like that much power but will only thermally protest. I've had them get smelly over and over since i first installed them 2 years ago. Ill only demo 2-3 songs before i turn them down but they have yet to fail on me. Currently i have around a 12hz hpf and the full 3k on them and they wont even come close to xmax. They have 34mm of xmax 1 way.

I emailed FI about rms rating on the 3" coils and they gave me a 800-1200rms per. Just from my own testing, id say 1200 per is too much.

It all seems like a huge waste of potential. Raising the HPF, i feel like i should be able to get quite a bit louder considering the power vs excursion balance.

So im curious, is it possible to get a recone from another company that'd allow me to reach my goals?
How do ya like that amp?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds