Best way to remove OIL

I had an Isuzu Trooper when I was down in Puerto Rico and had to have the engine steam cleaned at a "certified" garage before I was allowed to ship it back to the states. A few months before I had it done, I had used a couple of cans of Engine-Brite. The steam cleaning got ALOT more crap off (I watched it all wash down the drain) than the engine-brite and didn't leave the smell and white residue behind. The guy even sprayed some kind of protectent on it. I was impressed given that just about everything the local government "requires" is a money making scam.

As stated by others, you can use brake-parts cleaner or maybe even try starter fluid spray or denurated alcohol, but with any of these three, be careful about painted surfaces. Another safety note:

ONLY USE THEM ON A FULLY COOLED ENGINE AND LET IT COMPLETELY VENT BEFORE STARTING IT!!! Having fire extinguisher standing by would be re-assuring!

Brake cleaner is flammable, but not excessively so- but do wear saftey glasses, because having some of that spray splash into your eyes is a burning sensation you will not soon forget. x2 on the painted surface, and really don't get it on plastic (like a radio face) it will permenantly etch the plastic- not good.

I can still see someone spraying something we've recommended on here into there engine compartment and then working on a battery cable or something and making a little spark...

Volatile fumes + Oxygen + Spark = A VERY bad day!

As i said before i detail cars at a new car lot. When people trade in cars with oil on the motor, or come into service to ahve an oil leak fixed, the techs send it to us to clean. We use hot shot degreaser, spray it directly on the oil while it is dry(dont spray water then degrease, degrease first) let it set for a few mins, hose off with nozzle, if you could hose it off with a hot pressure washer, that would prob work better, oh yea, repeat if neccesarry.

800 bucks for an oil leak.. depends what was repaired. If I have to remove a transfer case, axle and transmission to change a $3.00 rear main seal, you better believe the labor rate is going to be high. Oil leaks CAN become expensive repairs.

Concentrated Simple Green and a heated water pressure washer.

I've been pro-detailing for quite a few years along side my regular job, and that's what seems to melt away the oil and grease from the outside of engine blocks.

Same basic common sense application applies as with any chemical.

As i said before i detail cars at a new car lot. When people trade in cars with oil on the motor, or come into service to ahve an oil leak fixed, the techs send it to us to clean. We use hot shot degreaser, spray it directly on the oil while it is dry(dont spray water then degrease, degrease first) let it set for a few mins, hose off with nozzle, if you could hose it off with a hot pressure washer, that would prob work better, oh yea, repeat if neccesarry.
Hot shot is awesome stuff- we have that at work as well- not really available to the public at the auto parts store though.

Ok, I took some advice, and used what I had. I tried the Dawn soap thing and hot water... Well, it ******. Ispent four hours and got little/nothing accomplished. Got out an old can of oven cleaner... Holy smokes, scrub that shii aroud with a toothbrush and spray off with an old squirt bottle and it's clean!

However, after spending 8 hours underneath my car, I started it up, and the valvetrain clattered like a pegleg circus- no oil is getting up there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif looks like an oil leak and a little bit of a mess has grown into a full fledged fockfest.

I would say you likely have a misfire problem from water getting in your distributor, or a spark plug wire partly disconnected- though your car may just be fubar.
Nope, the EGR valve was stuck open, lol sounded like the valvetrain...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif The oil is removed for the most part, except where I can't spray and scrub. Will get some simple green or Hot Shot and finish up later on with our presure washer.

Now on to the Caddilac... That is a little more heavy doody oil leakage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

disabled the egr valve on my honda haha.

anyway for what you've ended up spending you could just have a better car, imo. i know you love the 924, but why end up spending that money if its never going to end? atleast get a 928. if it were me i'd get a different car. but i respect whatever you choose, and wish you the best of luck

Lol yes i would have to strongly agree
Actually, if you saw the amount of work that went into it, you might say differently. THe mechanic is good... The car is a pos.

However, for what I have now (the car per say) the bar wire fence was electrified, and when they were done they cut my dick off.

But that's done. I should have just kept my 74 BMW 2002 and just spent 3500 on that instead of ****ing with this fancy ass Porsche.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.