3.8 supercharged

Flipx99
5,000+ posts

Violator of Terms
Building 100
My girlfriend has a 98 Buick Riveria with a 3.8 supercharged. Is there anything special I need to know about changing the oil to it? I have never changed oil to a supercharged engine before and wanted to know if there is anything special about changin the oil to a supercharger?

Nothing at all is different in changing the oil in a supercharged engine. You drain the old poo and put in the new. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

you may want to use a synthetic blend in order to reduce wear and tear inside the cylinder walls. remember that pistons move very very fast. they dont neccessarily move faster with a supercharger, but they sure do obtain much more strees due to constant boost pressure. (actually this is the rods but it goes just as well with the pistons.) other than that it is the same.

Change the oil religiously! A little buildup in the oil passages that keep the supercharger oiled can cause it to fail earlier. Repairs are up in the 1000-2000 dollar range if the supercharger bearing craps out on you. Trust me I've worked on these Buick superchargers before!

Camshaft position sensor seems to be the most problematic thing with these 3.8's though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Flipx99

5,000+ posts
Violator of Terms
Flipx99
Building 100
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date