My car won't start help!

ProcalX
10+ year member

1980 - the best yr 4 cars
I have a Volkswagen Polo 1979 (26,000 on the clock! :p with full history)

I have been experiencing a very strange problem in that my car will usually start with no problems just buy giving it alittle bit of choke, now i havn't used my car in awhile and was intending on using it for a big trip tomorrow, so i went out with the intention of starting it up and giving it a quick thrashing round the corner to clear all the crap out of it.

Anyway i went out, started the engine first time, then realised i had left my mobile inside so turned it off, got my mobile, came back out 5 minutes later and tried to start it, now.. my engine sounds like the battery is almost completely failed every time i start, i mean a really really bad draining noise.. as if its struggling to find any power in the battery to start up, all the dash board lights fade slightly when trying to start the engine..

I've been having this problem on and off over the last 2 months when i've used it (and its been Very cold)..

Now, at first i figured it was my battery as it was over 18 years old : D so i went down to a friends breakers yard and brought a battery for £5 (off a 6 month old BMW 7 Series !) They tested it for me and it was fully charged and working with no dead cells.

I go back, fit it in, and now have a heavy duty battery, since the car has generally been running Alot smoother, the engine seems alot happier and sounds alot better, now i've just been told by someone that the problem, since i have just replaced hte battery and i know it's fully charged is most likely due to a stuck solanoid?

can someone tell me:

What a solanoid is?

Where a solanoid is located?

How can i fix it?

Is it expensive?

Not the starter. It's probably your altenator. If the dash drains, yeah its your alt. Definelty sound like your altenator. Could be expensive, could be cheap. If your car is pretty popular there then you may be able to find a used one. Esp if you have a stereo system. Could be serious drainage.

Do me a favor and say "moble" again...

j/k

Check the alt

Check your battery terminals, I know a few people that have over looked this and it can be a HUGE problem. Get some baking soda and water and poor alittle on them if there built up.

can someone tell me:

What a solanoid is?

Where a solanoid is located?

How can i fix it?

Is it expensive?

It is on the starter, you need to replace the starter. If you hit it with a hammer sometimes you can get it to start. If its bad you wont get any crank, or sometimes it will and sometimes it wont.

As I said though check your terminals and make sure they are clean. That can make your car act really funny. My aunt had the same problem and was about to have it towed to get a new bat and maybe a new starter or alt. I went over there. She had some junk built up on the terminals not really bad. But alittle water and baking soda on them and it fixed her problem of acting like that bat was dead.

Check for power at the smaller signal wire at the starter when you attempt to crank. If there is none work your way back to the ignition switch. On those older Mk2's the starters can only handle the heat of the exhaust manifold above it for so long. Suprised yours even lasted this long. Ignition switches on those also aren't the most reliable. Even seen a rotten main ground wire (8gauge) on the transmission to block bolt cause your described problem.

Check your grounds, battery terminals as mentioned above. Don't believe it could be your solenoid because that would'nt cause your lights to fade, unless you have a huge starter and the the solenoid is stuck really bad. If you hear just one little click when you turn your key, then it could very well be a stuck solenoid, in that case, get someone to tap it with a metallic object and try turning the key again.

But I would check all your wiring, make sure nothing is disconnected or what not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.