Best way to reduce engine noise?

Hey guys I ordered some sound damper to do my trunk and other trouble spots that rattle but over the past couple days I've been driving around with my stereo off to listen for what kind of road noise in getting and as far as I can tell 80% of my extra noise is all engine. So what's the best way to get rid of that. I don't think its really vibration if its engine noise, its more of an actual noise. So should I look into putting some mlv on the firewall or would a sound damper like dynamat work just as good?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hey guys I ordered some sound damper to do my trunk and other trouble spots that rattle but over the past couple days I've been driving around with my stereo off to listen for what kind of road noise in getting and as far as I can tell 80% of my extra noise is all engine. So what's the best way to get rid of that. I don't think its really vibration if its engine noise, its more of an actual noise. So should I look into putting some mlv on the firewall or would a sound damper like dynamat work just as good?
Things like dynamat just change the resonant frequency of the material youre putting it on for the most part, will it lessen the engine noise coming thru the firewall? Yes. But a layer of something akin to dynamat with a layer of mlv with a foam backing will do the trick for sure

Things like dynamat just change the resonant frequency of the material youre putting it on for the most part, will it lessen the engine noise coming thru the firewall? Yes. But a layer of something akin to dynamat with a layer of mlv with a foam backing will do the trick for sure
is there any brands you recommend? There's a mlv made by "trademark soundproofing" it's gotten really good reviews for car audio and similar installs on amazon but holy cr*p 70$ for only 16 square ft

What about under hood liner? I've seen those changed out too.
Sound deadening the hood can make a significant difference. Especially if your engine tends to be loud (headers, forced induction, etc...). That also depends on the exact vehicle of course.

Sound deadening the hood can make a significant difference. Especially if your engine tends to be loud (headers, forced induction, etc...). That also depends on the exact vehicle of course.
Haha, headers, forced induction, pushrod motor. Ya its freaking loud. What can I use to deaden the hood that will hold up to the very excessive heat?

I was on home depot and saw for 56$ I could get a 100sq foot roll of "Acoustical Recycled Fiber Underlayment" which looks like what a lot of cars use as insulation from the factory. I'm sure it wouldn't work as good as mlv but its nice and lightweight and cheap. Has anyone every used something like this?

I know dynamat makes a 'hoodliner' specifically for that application. Im sure others do too, Im just too lazy to look right now.
Well I got about 85% coverage of noico butyl sound deadener in my trunk. 18 sq feet and I'm kind of bumbed I added almost 20lbs of weight to the car and really all it did was take away some of the outside vibration. I don't hear any kind of difference sitting in the car. Ugh

mass loaded vinyl for road noise, Closed cell foam for rattle control. Deadener does neither of those.

isn't the whole point if deadener to stop rattles? If not then what exactly is the point of it
lower vehicle and panel resonance. Does not kill rattles. Rattles are caused by two hard surfaces vibrating against eachother. Unless you have a piece of foam to decouple(meaning make them not touch eachother) you arent doing any thing to get rid of rattle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.