best system on 1100 rms?

Participant count
  • Participant list
forget the single 10 or dual 10s and 12s idea... a single American Bass XFL 15 D4 in a 4 cubic feet box tuned to 40 hz would get you super loud and boomy with good lows. How much space do you want to give up? if you really have limited room then just get a sundown SA 12, should work real nice with that power, its underrated at 600 rms but it will eat that 1.1k rms easily. Just dont skimp out on the box... dont even think about buying some cheap amazon/best buy/ebay piece of shiet boxes.

Okay, well I already have a 12 inch sub box, so I think I'll go with an American Bass xfl 1244. Just don't wanna drop an extra 140 for a box. Will the size make a big difference?

I'd go with a single 12 in a nice big ported box, tuned low. It will give you nice response in the majority of bass range, and hit the really low stuff well. You won't have such a high peak at a certain frequency, but nice even bass response. You can put the same sub in two different boxes and they will have VERY different responses. A box can make or break the way a sub sounds. For competitions people tune to a very specific frequency to max the output at that frequency, for musicality it is often good to have a big box tuned real low. If a box is tuned too high, it loses control of the sub at frequencies below what a box is tuned for, and can damage it with overexcursion. If you tune it low it will control the sub better, and also have a wider frequency response, and sound better with music. You can spend 2000$ on a sub and put it in a crappy box, and it will still sound like crap...

What size is the box you have? Is it ported or sealed? Do you know if it is a prefab "cookie cutter" box, or a custom built box? Really, if the box you have is at least 1 cubic ft, it could work for the time being, but it will give you a higher tuning frequency, for what it seems you want as jeff said a big ported box tuned to 40hz would be ideal.. or id even consider going a little lower depending on the sub, but i just love it stupid low. Sealed boxes give flatter less boomy response though, and most prefab ported boxes are tuned too high. If getting a custom box built is too much, if you are good with power tools, math and are patient you could try building a box, and that could save you money. 3/4in med density fiber board (MDF) wood glue and screws are fairly cheap, finish it how you please.If you have basic tools and skills start by building a big sealed box, they are much easier to biuld. Most 12" subs need at least 1 cubic ft, more space will tune it lower. If you are pretty skilled in woodworking, and have better tools available a ported box would be ideal. There is all kinds of info on box building and even sites, and software that will help if you poke around. It takes a little figuring out, but I've been enjoying Win ISD LinearTeam You can also use this program to figure out what the box you have is tuned to for a certain speaker if you take the time to figure it out.

For speakers, there are tons of good options in that wattage range. I'm currently running an alpine SWX1243D (alpine type x 12) at about 900 rms, and it is loud and low in a 1 cu ft sealed box, I have a ported box designed that I've been itching to build for it, I I decided to sacrafice the rest of my trunk to the subwoofer gods to get 3.47 cu ft of box volume, with a port tuning it to 29hz. I know some might say that is too low... but it gives it a nice flat response peaking at the low end, And since i have some good midbass set up, it will sound wonderful for my taste. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've got a ported box, probably around 2-2.5 cubic feet. I think I'm gunna put the 12" American bass xfl in it. It will do for now. I'm putting it in a hatchback, so it's going to be super loud. I had a 12" kicker cvr on 500 rms a while ago. And just that was stupid loud. But I've heard good things about American bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.