Best sub (10 or 12") around $100 to handle 400W RMS?

benimal
10+ year member

Lemme start by saying that I did cross-post this same message on msprotege.com as that's where I hang out. I was hoping to get input from both groups.

Folks:

Ok I'm working on a limited budget as the wife let me spend a little money on a car audio system for my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. I plan on purchasing a set of CDT CL-61as and CL-6Xs from TheZeb. I will be powering the front components with a Hifonics Nemesis NX880 (110W x 2). The rear (door) speakers will run off the stock Kenwood HU. I plan on upgrading the big three as well, so that I don't need to run a cap or deal with dimming issues. Last but not least, I will also get some sort of wiring setup, just not sure what.

I am now torn as to what sub to get. I have about $100 for the sub (+ shipping). I don't want to buy off ebay or buy someone elses used sub. I'm looking for a single 10" or 12" sub that will handle ~ 400W+ RMS from the amp (2 channels bridged). The sub will be in a small sealed enclosure (1 cu ft or less) in my trunk. I prefer SQ over SPL. Since I will be running a single sub, I don't care if it's SVC or DVC so long as the final impedance ends up being 4 ohms. I would prefer though, to get a sub that closely matches those specs as opposed to one with a lower RMS rating where I have to turn down my gains.

So far here are the ones I have seen that might do the trick. Let me know your thoughts on these or others. I would like to stay away from the more boomy mainstream stuff (MTX, RF, Alpine, Kicker). I've owned Kicker and JL Audio subs and am now ready to try something new. I am not too inclined to try eD given all that I've read of them (as of late). I have not auditioned any of the subs below as I don't know any places around here that sell them.

Phoenix Gold Ti10[D] (can be had new for ~ $90) - requires heavy duty box (1" MDF with serious bracing) but can handle 500W RMS.

Phoenix Gold Ti12D (factory renewed for $90) - not too keen on the factory renewed part, but **** a PG Ti12D for under $100!$%^

Adire Shiva 12" ($125 + shipping) - dual 8ohm coils, but requires a bigger box (~ 1.5 cu ft based on what I've read)

CDT Audio CL-1215 (now on special at TheZeb for $100) - seems to be a good fit at 400W RMS, but can't find any reviews on them. Would be nice to have an all CDT system I suppose, but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

I'd like to purchase a simple prefab box if I can, but the quality ones I've seen are either from Subzone (ok for $50) or SubZero (nice but twice as much as subzone). I realize I could probably make the box myself for cheaper, but the fact is that I don't really wanna if I don't have to.

As you can tell, this won't be a show car... just make my commute that much more enjoyable. Since I'm only planning to spend $100 on the sub, I don't expect to get the best thing out there, but something decent would be nice.

Thanks.

Ben

I had a Memphis Power Reference 12" in my car before i totaled it. 98 bucks from a registered Memphis dealer. either single or dual 4ohm configurations, and its rated at 250w rms. very, very solid driver for the price.

***edit***eh, sorry, forgot to add that i was sending it 400w rms and it was eating it up just fine, its my belief that memphis subs are very underrated.

Before you buy the CDT speakers email tplaya07 at lowrideherz@hotmail.com and ask him what he would charge you for them. His name is Tim French.

He is a CDT Dealer and got me an awseome price on mine.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

there is nothing wrong with factory refurbished products......
Well I tend to be anal and want the full warranty when possible (hence buying new), but if the deal is pretty good (as it appears to be with the PG sub) then I would consider it.

Thanks.

Ben

I had a Memphis Power Reference 12" in my car before i totaled it. 98 bucks from a registered Memphis dealer. either single or dual 4ohm configurations, and its rated at 250w rms. very, very solid driver for the price.
***edit***eh, sorry, forgot to add that i was sending it 400w rms and it was eating it up just fine, its my belief that memphis subs are very underrated.
So Memphis aren't too bad? I'll see if I can find a dealer locally that might have some to audition. I just saw an auction on ebay for two Memphis Power Reference 12" subs (PR124D) with a buyitnow price of $119 + shipping. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but would also give me a spare sub (or allow me to run 2 12s off the amp with 220W RMS each). Any idea what size sealed enclosure I would use for those? But then again that's also buying off of ebay which was one of my no-nos //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Ah well... I'll keep searching... thanks for your input!!!

Thanks.

Ben

Memphis is a very reputable company, very high end, so believe me if you buy from them you will be satisfied. I believe that these drivers perform better in small, sealed enclosures, 1.5 cubes should do just fine. Also dont be wary to buy from ebay as long as its from a dealer with a huge amount of feedback.

well for 400wrms you arent gonna notice a HUGE difference. my vote however goes for the ti12. i had 4of them and with just 2 its had a really tight punch i could feel in my chest. they play very accurately. anyone that has owned them have nothign but good reviws, 10s, 12s, ported, sealed, all good. especially for that deal man!!!!

i paid ~115 each for mine shipped and they were well worth it. ended up selling it all before ir ealized i had plenty of trunk space for all 4 :S id give anyhtign to have my system back, oh well, tyime to play with some 15s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.