best spot for capacitor?

Why? Sometimes it's better to ground back to the battery. A JL Rep did an independent test and found that most car's chassis have resistence equal to that of 4ga wire. Which means it would be silly to run 0ga ground to the chassis, when the chassis has more resistance than the wire itself. Plus it helps rid your system of that nasty "bad ground" problem so many people have. Battery is guaranteed to be a good ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif
Well, i have 4 gauge wire, so i guess i'm ok. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

But seriously, i've never seen anyone run their ground back to the battery. Whether it was for convenience purposes or otherwise i don't know.

maybe you should try it and see if it helps. or if you plan on going to vegas for ces in january you can see his truck there. and we will show you. i put the system in he is running 2 1501d amps to 4 12 in subs in a custom fiberglass inclosure. along with 2 2channel amps i think the 962's mtx for the highs he is running 1 6.5in mid and 2 1 in tweeters in each door. its a 4 door ford harley davidson edition

as for the running the power wire to the Batt......generally its not really necessary.......i suppose if u have a large enough power wire it wouldnt really hurt anything considering you wouldnt have any problems w/ the resistence......but generally u can find a good chasis ground that will work just as well......

as for the other thing w/ the guy running 4000w on a stock charging system........well no offense or anything but if he hasnt upgraded his electrical system i have a hard time believing he's running 4000w of rms power........thats aproximatly 278a of current on a deep bass note......and since u say he is going to finals......that tells me he uses the vehicle for burps.......anyways...jus my .02

no he does not use it for burps, and its not going to finals we will have it on display at CES in VEGAS in january. he will also be in the installer challenge.

check us out at gatelyaudio

and you can see what we do. or give us a call we can explain it over the phone.

we will be taking pics of everything soon, i forgot to when i put the truck back together

Well your web designer ONLY puts what you tell him to put. From reading the Q & A it sounded like reading a book report from my kids. I would take it out, rewrite it with complete sentences, and STOP TALKING DOWN TO PEOPLE. We all do not have the I.Q. of a 2yr old.

Next is do not get a cap, it will not give you harder hitting bass notes. A cap is used for 1 purpose. To sublet a short power surge your amp may require. It would ONLY do this if your charging system is not up to the amps being drawn from it. If this were to happen you would need A bigger ALT.

Next subject, running a ground back to your battery. Yes you are supposed to have the shortest ground you can, BUT like the other guy said you want the least resistance for your ground, and a 1/0 is better than you cars sheet metal. It will also help with the ground loop problems.

Why? Sometimes it's better to ground back to the battery. A JL Rep did an independent test and found that most car's chassis have resistence equal to that of 4ga wire. Which means it would be silly to run 0ga ground to the chassis, when the chassis has more resistance than the wire itself.
But -- the "JL Rep" wasn't guaranteeing his results were accurate, and we all know every car is different.

One of the more technically respected contributors at carsound has the capability to do voltage drop tests on car chasses. His average equivalent is 2/0 gauge.

But -- the "JL Rep" wasn't guaranteeing his results were accurate, and we all know every car is different.
He tested 4 different vehicles, all different makes/models/styles....all gave close to the same results. Obviously nothing is a "one size fits all" situation

One of the more technically respected contributors at carsound has the capability to do voltage drop tests on car chasses. His average equivalent is 2/0 gauge.
That same "technically respected contributor" (RC) looked over the JL rep's testing processes and procedures and could not find any flaws in them; henceforth the results can be assumed to be valid.

hey man....has your boss upgraded his electrical system at all??? cause i seorusly doubt he can runn 4000w rms off of a stock alt w/out having some problems.....or does he have like 15 batteries? jus curiuos.....

I was referring to Rob M, not RC.
In the technical context I trust Rob over Manville, but that's just me.
RobM or RC, either way nobody found any flaws in his test method......and considering that isn't exactly a difficult thing to measure once set up properly, I don't know why you would doubt the JL reps findings.

But, to each his own I guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.