best spot for capacitor?

fishmunger
10+ year member

i have an 81 c10 stepside pickup (reg cab) and i am putting 2 10's and and 2 amps all behind the seat. i built the boxes and am in the process of building a rack for my blaupunkt (6x9) amp and my kole (sub) amp. I am going to use a 1 farad cap, and i was wondering if i mount it by the amplifiers, behind the seat, or under the hood near the battery? The kole amp is 2 channel, and i was wondering how u set it up for stereo or mono i dont understand? thanks

In the garbage. Thats where you'll get the most use out of it.
If he already bought the cap, he might as well use it. OR you could sell it and save for a bigger alt.

But seriously, most likely the cap won't help that much or at all, but since you already spent money on it, then you might as well use it.

its a kole hk-980 2 channel 220w x 2 @ 4 ohms. I havent bought a cap yet, but i was going to because its supposed to make your bass notes hit harder, and i am not about to go upgrading my electrical system, cuz my system is only 640w rms altogether. so i should put it by the amp? thanks

um, look at your sig next time you post that.

Even though its fake, some people might not know.

Fishmunger, just wire 1 sub per terminal set.

Whats the VC setup on them ?

this might sound stupid to some people, but if you run the power and ground straight from the battery you will not need a cap for you system. my boss is running close to 4000 watts or more in his truck and he has not replaced the alternator at all. and he just has 0 awg wire running from the battery to the distribution blocks.

if you think about it one wire from your amps to the battery is technically closer then bolting it to the firewall of the car.

so then you would not need it. try that and try using a cap and notice the difference.

in my car i have a 1 farad cap that doesnt really help at all and i have like 1000 watts

this might sound stupid to some people, but if you run the power and ground straight from the battery you will not need a cap for you system. my boss is running close to 4000 watts or more in his truck and he has not replaced the alternator at all. and he just has 0 awg wire running from the battery to the distribution blocks.
if you think about it one wire from your amps to the battery is technically closer then bolting it to the firewall of the car.

so then you would not need it. try that and try using a cap and notice the difference.

in my car i have a 1 farad cap that doesnt really help at all and i have like 1000 watts
Never have a ground thats longer than 3 feet......ever.

There's NO way hes running 4000 watts and not having problems, no matter what wacky way he wires it.

Never have a ground thats longer than 3 feet......ever.
That's RIGHT!! 3.00 feet, fine. 3.001 feet, and your life is over!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Care to back up that rediculous rule with some science, or at least decent logic??

There's NO way hes running 4000 watts and not having problems, no matter what wacky way he wires it.
Sure there is. It's a relatively powerful stock system and the guy doesn't burp test tones all day.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that.
Thats the basic rule i've stuck with, but its pretty ridiculous to have a 10 foot long ground.

And no, i dont have anything to back it up with, just like the arguments between the pros/cons of capacitors can use the same information for each side.

Thats the basic rule i've stuck with, but its pretty ridiculous to have a 10 foot long ground.
Why? Sometimes it's better to ground back to the battery. A JL Rep did an independent test and found that most car's chassis have resistence equal to that of 4ga wire. Which means it would be silly to run 0ga ground to the chassis, when the chassis has more resistance than the wire itself. Plus it helps rid your system of that nasty "bad ground" problem so many people have. Battery is guaranteed to be a good ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.