Best shuffle alogorithm?

gastan

nOOb here but glad I found this forum. Want to replace the old Sony deck in my auto but would like to see what the opinions are on my question.

Did a quick search but didn't see this exact question asked or answered. Sorry if I missed it.

What decks (Sony, Pioneer, Panosonic, Alpine, etc) have the best shuffle play alogorithm? I don't like how my present Sony handles shuffle play. I have made several mp3 disks with say 150 tracks (no folders - all tracks just burned onto the disk) but when I play them in shuffle mode I swear that I only ever hear maybe 100-110 of them. Same 100-110 all the time. The remaining 40-50 never seem to come up. Every looooonnnng once in a while I'll hear one of those but not often. Sony shuffle alogorithm seems to pick the same *random* numbers (tracks) over and over and over.

I would like a USB deck that I could load a 8GB or 16GB stick into, hit shuffle play, and have the deck truly randomly choose tracks -- not seemingly choose from the same 60%-75% over and over again.

Thanks for any/all opinions.

nOOb here but glad I found this forum. Want to replace the old Sony deck in my auto but would like to see what the opinions are on my question.
Did a quick search but didn't see this exact question asked or answered. Sorry if I missed it.

What decks (Sony, Pioneer, Panosonic, Alpine, etc) have the best shuffle play alogorithm? I don't like how my present Sony handles shuffle play. I have made several mp3 disks with say 150 tracks (no folders - all tracks just burned onto the disk) but when I play them in shuffle mode I swear that I only ever hear maybe 100-110 of them. Same 100-110 all the time. The remaining 40-50 never seem to come up. Every looooonnnng once in a while I'll hear one of those but not often. Sony shuffle alogorithm seems to pick the same *random* numbers (tracks) over and over and over.

I would like a USB deck that I could load a 8MB or 16MB stick into, hit shuffle play, and have the deck truly randomly choose tracks -- not seemingly choose from the same 60%-75% over and over again.

Thanks for any/all opinions.
lulz, that won't hold very many songs...

lulz, that won't hold very many songs...
Sorry. Typo. Meant 8 or 16 gigs. Have edited it.

Whatever happened to just pressing play......you get all songs then.
Look ---- you make a compilation disk with 150 or more tracks by 30 or 40 or 50 artists. Instead of listening to them in alphabetical order (my naming method is artist - title)I hit shuffle play. Then it's like listening to the radio -- you never know what's coming up next -- you don't listen to one artist -- you don't get stuck in one mood or genre. Okay?

if you cant figure out how to shuffle the songs on the cd before you burn it thats not our problem,

and quite honestly how a deck shuffles is the last thought for any of us here,

personally we would rather have something that performs well than something that shuffles well.

Well he did, if you add his shuffle it before ya burn it to my just press play.......you have everything you want, and it cost you nothing. So yes, we did help. Thanks for coming out. Time for you to go play somewhere else.

I agree with the OP. Before I used my ZuneHD, I had a few CD's with 100+ tracks and would put it on shuffle. On road trips, I'd probably only hear half of those songs over and over. The other half just never played

edit -- And with the ^ post, I don't like doing that because if you listen to the CD more than once, you already know the song that will come on after your current song. It's not truly "shuffled" if you can tell what song is going to come on next.

if you cant figure out how to shuffle the songs on the cd before you burn it thats not our problem,
and quite honestly how a deck shuffles is the last thought for any of us here,

personally we would rather have something that performs well than something that shuffles well.
I can figure out how to burn shuffled tracks on a disk very well, thank you. I happen to like not listening to the same songs in the same order every time. That's the whole point of "not knowing what's coming up next." That's the whole point of shuffle play.

I thought this would be a forum where car audio in all its aspects would be discussed but if you have a "problem" with that I apologize. I thought that how a deck operates would fall into this category.

I'm getting off to a bad start here but I don't understand why, if you can't or don't want to answer the question, you bother answering at all.

I agree with the OP. Before I used my ZuneHD, I had a few CD's with 100+ tracks and would put it on shuffle. On road trips, I'd probably only hear half of those songs over and over. The other half just never played
edit -- And with the ^ post, I don't like doing that because if you listen to the CD more than once, you already know the song that will come on after your current song. It's not truly "shuffled" if you can tell what song is going to come on next.
If you have 150 tracks on a cd, how long is it going to take ya to get through the entire cd on average every day drives.....week? If you really want to get adventurous, shuffle them before making the cd, press play, run the course, then after that hit shuffle. Last ya a good 2-3 weeks.

Cause the first reply out of you was chock full of attitude. If you are so smart, and such a know it all, you don't need anyone here to tell you anything.
And your response - the first one I got - was so helpful? A smart a**ed, "Whatever happened to just pressing play..." If you don't want to answer my question, don't. If you think it's a stupid question -- good for you. But don't give me smart aleck answers and then accuse me of being the one with an attitude.

there are a lot of us that have forgotten more about car audio, than you will know, but how a deck shuffles is not something that 99.9% of us have ever thought about, let alone stressed over.

and you trying to be a smart*** isnt going to get you anything other than the same twice as bad in return.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.