Best set up for sealed 1.2 cu ft box?

g35chick
10+ year member

I have a g35 coupe with a stupid tiny trunk. I can either make a custom box (which I don't have the patience to do at all whatsoever) or buy a pre-made 1.2ft^3 with either one 10", two 10"s (which I have now), or one 12".

Ideally, I'd like to get one 12, but I don't know if my box is big enough.

The amp is a JL 500/1 and I'm NOT buying a new amp.

I have a pair of JL 10w3v2's that I did a refoam on, and (apparently) the combination of the foam rattling/not being the perfect fit and some of the glue coming undone has made me want to sell them and get something else. Took it to my friend at a shop by here and he said I did a great refoam job, just needs more glue... not sure that I believe him LOL he said I'm the first female he's met that did repair work on a speaker... I'm not sure that I trust that opinion... they seem airtight to me. But... if anyone wants my w3's, make me an offer! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So... basically...

1.2cuft sealed box + JL 500/1 = ?

Thanks!

hmmm,seems like ive seen this thread before..no luck with the last recommendations, i take it?Id go with one ten..Take a look at an Alpine Type r,or an SSA Dcon ,American Bass TnT 10,Dayton HO 10 ,:uhoh:maybe,be my suggestions,about all i can think of atm..others will chime in for recommendations

Well, I actually have a box from them already, a dual 10", but I really like that hidden box! I'd bet they could make one for my car... 350z doesn't have the same trunk.

Though, out of curiosity, how would two SD's do in my current box (1.2ft)? Recommended enclosure size is 0.5... I have no idea how to calculate size. My box is also filled lightly with polyfill.

hmmm,seems like ive seen this thread before..no luck with the last recommendations, i take it?Id go with one ten..Take a look at an Alpine Type r,or an SSA Dcon ,American Bass TnT 10,Dayton HO 10 ,:uhoh:maybe,be my suggestions,about all i can think of atm..others will chime in for recommendations
Well, I made a new thread because my other one was filled with suggestions that didn't make sense with this set-up... I don't think anyone realized I'd like to keep at LEAST my amp. :p

I also made this thread a couple of days ago because I was looking at the same box (zen closures) I have a kicker zx400.1 and I think I'm gonna go with either a single 12" infinity woofer or a single 12" image dynamics

Consider Alpine's SBR subwoofer. It's an Alpine Type-R 8 subwoofer in a small ported box tuned pretty low. The R8 subwoofers have reportedly very good SQ. These are overbuilt, much better than their bigger cousins. The SBR box is like 0.7cu ft overall, which is really small, perfect for your vehicle IMO. Since this subwoofer is in a ported box and tuned low, it can hang up there with 10 inch sealed subwoofer from the same family, while easily giving more sonic energy in 30-50Hz region. I suspect it will give more than enough SPL for a compact sedan or coupe due to the cabin being smaller.

If you want to go with a sealed box sub in 1.2 cu ft of space, I'd recommend an Infinity Kappa 120.9w. Configured for 4ohm, it has perfect qtc of 0.7 in this box. Configured for 2ohm, its qtc is under 0.8, which is fine. I think it gives very smooth, even, clean sound. Its rating of 350watts is too conservative. Its xmax excursion suggests much higher power handling limits. While this subwoofer sounds fine with just 250watt amplifier, it should take 500watts easily.

Another subwoofer that's perfect for this box size is Image Dynamics IDQ12v3. It's a good SQ subwoofer, but as a bonus, it has higher power handling, higher sensitivity (tiny bit), and higher xmax if you need to get a little louder. If you can run about 800-1000watts to sub stage, then the 2012 Alpine Type-R 12 would work pretty well. Again, it has good qtc in 1cu ft box. 1000watt RMS power handling.

If you have high power, another subwoofer you can try is Sundown SA-12 or SA-10, the later perhaps in a vehicle specific enclosure. I have read about demo installs with these subwoofers being used for high SQ application in a sealed box. Perhaps this needs some tuning, but few subs don't need any tuning, specially with a 10 in a sealed box you probably need to boost low end a little.

Personally, I'd be tempted to try the Alpine SBR, since it's priced so cheap (under $200). This is a good deal considering you get a box designed for this subwoofer, and R8s have good reputation. You could drive it with pretty much any amplifier (needs to be 2ohm stable), but don't run more than its rated for (I think it's 350watts or so).

How much space exactly do you have to work with? IMO one ported 12" with proper sized/designed box can do very well. There are a few designers/builders on here that can work with you, build exactly what you need, and ship it to you.

Btw g35 chick how do you like the w3s? I was looking at dual w3s or a single w6 but people on this site steered me away from it
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the W3's. It might have a lot to do with my box, or the fact that it isn't exactly the set up I want, but I'm ready to get something else. I'm a noob (clearly and a female lol) so this is probably going to sound dumb, but I think I want something the hits a little harder that you can feel in your chest. Don't get me wrong, these things are loud and sound 100 times better than most of my friends set ups, and my boyfriend thinks they sound fantastic. This definitely has to do with my box and probably my stock Bose system, but the lows are incredibly loud and the highs aren't even close.. no matter how I tune my amp. They're VERY clean, and handle things like double bass drums really well, I just want more "oomph" if that makes any sense... and not so much a constant loud rumbling.

My friend has a single 10w6 in a HO box and I definitely prefer it to my two w3's.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the W3's. It might have a lot to do with my box, or the fact that it isn't exactly the set up I want, but I'm ready to get something else. I'm a noob (clearly and a female lol) so this is probably going to sound dumb, but I think I want something the hits a little harder that you can feel in your chest. Don't get me wrong, these things are loud and sound 100 times better than most of my friends set ups, and my boyfriend thinks they sound fantastic. This definitely has to do with my box and probably my stock Bose system, but the lows are incredibly loud and the highs aren't even close.. no matter how I tune my amp. They're VERY clean, and handle things like double bass drums really well, I just want more "oomph" if that makes any sense... and not so much a constant loud rumbling.
My friend has a single 10w6 in a HO box and I definitely prefer it to my two w3's.
THats what I thought about the w3s, and I forgot to specify that I was looking at the same box because I also got a 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT, just got my pioneer AVHp-8400bh head unit put in today but I have no clue what I want to do about a subwoofer or even component speakers so any answers you get are of help to me. But deep down in my gut i feel as if im probably gonna end up with a w6, but the right enclosure is almost everything and I dont wanna pay someone to build it for me so thats why Im looking at the zenclosures box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.