Best Port Tuning = (SPL).

Those Rds 6.5's are capable. People constantly try to throw a strong 3K or more at them then play under 30hz content full bore resulting in what you pictured above. They even overpower the ssf setting sometimes... no joke. Any idea where the box was supposed to be tuned in that photo? I've done multiple designs for those subs and they'll perform but they do have limits. I cringe when hearing someone wants those subs on a big (3K+) amplifier. Dollars to donuts they'll be trying to play content under 30hz boosted by an epicenter. I try to design around preferred music and hard usage but there's only so much you can do. Here's an example...
biSNTY.jpg

Tuned 36hz playing under 30hz with big power is a recipe for failure, and Its always the enclosure's fault. Its the 1st place everyone points their finger when subs die. "User error" is alive and well just as its always been... :LOL:

I'm at the point where I need bass in my Sorento. I'm probably going to make a box for the pair of Anarchys I have and use them to fill in the factory system. You think it's worth it to get a pair of 6.5" subs instead? My enclosure will probably be sealed, and I'm probably going to limit my power to 500w for 2 drivers. Space is a premium since it's the family trip vehicle.

Matt

Those Rds 6.5's are capable. People constantly try to throw a strong 3K or more at them then play under 30hz content full bore resulting in what you pictured above. They even overpower the ssf setting sometimes... no joke. Any idea where the box was supposed to be tuned in that photo? I've done multiple designs for those subs and they'll perform but they do have limits. I cringe when hearing someone wants those subs on a big (3K+) amplifier. Dollars to donuts they'll be trying to play content under 30hz boosted by an epicenter. I try to design around preferred music and hard usage but there's only so much you can do. Here's an example...
biSNTY.jpg

Tuned 36hz playing under 30hz with big power is a recipe for failure, and Its always the enclosure's fault. Its the 1st place everyone points their finger when subs die. "User error" is alive and well just as its always been... :LOL:
This was one of the enclosures. 3 out of 4 of them had been shredded. The enclosure is actually a decent enclosure. I didn’t measure it, but it looks to be about 2 cubes tuned to 34-37 HZ. Would work fine with proper power and a SSF. I took the one that wasn’t fully exploded and put it in a 6th order just to play with and it was an impressive little subwoofer within its limits. I bought an 8 from Rick after i came across these and it’s an incredible little beast.
137D9DD6-8BF6-4EE6-A719-530798E094E9.jpeg

This was one of the enclosures. 3 out of 4 of them had been shredded. The enclosure is actually a decent enclosure. I didn’t measure it, but it looks to be about 2 cubes tuned to 34-37 HZ. Would work fine with proper power and a SSF. I took the one that wasn’t fully exploded and put it in a 6th order just to play with and it was an impressive little subwoofer within its limits. I bought an 8 from Rick after i came across these and it’s an incredible little beast.
View attachment 45065
Yep... I remember that one. Iirc it's tuned 34hz and was killing the Integra. He sold it immediately after it got demoed a few times. To who I can't recall but it sounded great. It sold itself.

I'm at the point where I need bass in my Sorento. I'm probably going to make a box for the pair of Anarchys I have and use them to fill in the factory system. You think it's worth it to get a pair of 6.5" subs instead? My enclosure will probably be sealed, and I'm probably going to limit my power to 500w for 2 drivers. Space is a premium since it's the family trip vehicle.

Matt
Iirc those rds 6.5 are best in ported, if you're going sealed the Anarchy's should be a better bet.

Yep... I remember that one. Iirc it's tuned 34hz and was killing the Integra. He sold it immediately after it got demoed a few times. To who I can't recall but it sounded great. It sold itself.
I didn’t get to hear it. The subs were completely destroyed. all torn on the same spot on the subs. The only one with good coils was also torn, so I did a half ass fix with silicone on the surround just to see what it could do. To my surprise it lasted a good month being pushed pretty hard before it finally tore open again.

I didn’t get to hear it. The subs were completely destroyed. all torn on the same spot on the subs. The only one with good coils was also torn, so I did a half ass fix with silicone on the surround just to see what it could do. To my surprise it lasted a good month being pushed pretty hard before it finally tore open again.
In the Integra that setup was on 1500w, I wonder what amp it ended up being powered by?
Probably a 3k or more by the looks of it... Lol.

In the Integra that setup was on 1500w, I wonder what amp it ended up being powered by?
Probably a 3k or more by the looks of it... Lol.
Probably. An 18 year old kid is who had it in the end. someone gave it to him. He already had 2 sundown classic 12s and wanted to know if he’d be louder with these 6.5s, and sent me a video of Ricks metering score at IFO last year and wanted a box made. I really had to do some work to talk him out of buying 6.5s to replace his 12s. I finally talked him into just getting a box for his 12s.

Matt
The nice thing with those anarchys is you won't need to reinvent the wheel if you do a bit of searching home theater forums there's loads of DIY project build logs, plans, and reviews for what has been done with those.

The nice thing with those anarchys is you won't need to reinvent the wheel if you do a bit of searching home theater forums there's loads of DIY project build logs, plans, and reviews for what has been done with those.

I love the Anarchys. I got them for the jetta but didn't want to completely destroy the doors to make them work properly. Always wanted to make a tapped horn with them, lol.

Matt

There's a bunch of brands out there that cross the line into "insane power handling." The v5 Sundown zv series gets 2500 RMS now, the v5 nightshade 3k, and the teams (if you can find them) go up to 5k rms on the 18. Sundown competitors (like DC audio) can do similar sorts of things. Orion has the HCC SPLX series that claim 7500 RMS on a single 18 and the SPL series that can do 5k RMS. Massive Audio has the 6k RMS BOA subs. I'm sure there's more that I just don't know about.

It's all about what you're trying to do. For example Sundown introduced the U series specifically to depart from the high roll, high excursion SPL sub design that's common now. I'm sure the folks here can tell you all you want to know about combining specific subs with specific box designs to achieve whatever kind of performance you're after.

The thing to keep in mind is power. Hispls (and some others) can tell you all about LTO lithium and other chemistries and packages. That will get you godlike performance but it takes labor, parts, and tools to build the banks. Up to 5k you can get away with a HO alt and a couple high quality AGMs. Much above that and you'll need multiple HO alts and 3+ (big, heavy) batteries, and maybe supercaps to smooth it all out (can't say about that from personal experience yet). I haven't lurked enough so I don't know what all you have already - apologies if I'm telling you what you already know.

Interesting with the enclosure and subwoofer match ups.

I'm just looking for general information.

We have a guy in my city that hit something like 147 DB with 6.5s. Super impressive but its made to play just that tiny range of higher frequencies. A week later I had numerous kids message me wanting boxes for 6.5s, and showing me this video of a guy hitting 147 DB. Only 1 person actually knew what he was getting (older guy who likes rock and country music). The other guys, I had to try to talk out of getting 6.5s after finding out they listen to rebassed and rap music. I had blown 6.5s sitting everywhere from these kids trying to hammer lows with 6.5s in a ported box. Then this happens……
View attachment 45064

When people Burp SPL is that causing Clipping?

biSNTY.jpg

Was it clipping then it blew?

Maxwell, ioxus, skelcap are the 3 most common.

Your looking for 6 3000+ farad cells linked in series for up to 16v max charge voltage. They won't care much when only charged to 14.4v. lithium batteries are another option

Can I see a picture of what this farad cells are?

I'm quoting this for the intelligence. Nothing wrong with running 10k daily systems. Nothing wrong with dropping a prefab in your car. Everyone is different. I don't like alot of the new subs out now. I like my subs with a low Fs and a softer suspension so I don't need tons of power. Now, I know the 18's I currently have go against that statement a fair bit, but they just sound so damn good I decided to go all in.

My first venture into Infinite baffle was due to the efficiency. Tons of bass with low power = a win for me. Now I've moved away slightly, but my enclosure is still my trunk volume because I really like how infinite baffle sounds.

If you want to run 12 subs on 20k watts, be my guest. I love seeing big builds and they are definitely impressive. But for me, it's about getting loud AND sounding good. I want nothing to do with 40hz ported boxes or 1:1 bandpass enclosures ment for the lanes.

To each his own, and may we all sing songs around a campfire while we wait for equipment to arrive.

Matt

Low FS 18" Infinite Baffle sounds like the perfect idea.

I'm looking for the future where Subwoofers are: 6.5" FS 28hz. QTS: .73
12" FS 25 Qts: .73

Are these specs universally possible?

Currently I'm loving my daily (rebassed music):

DD712 - 2.73 cubic ft - 28HZ - 34" X 6" Port.

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_104546897.jpg
    IMG_20221128_104546897.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 18
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...