Best Pair of 10's for a DC 2.0k?

With 3cu I would do a pr of lvl 3 12's tuned as you like and call it a day.
That was an option as well, 2 12's, but I figured 1.5cuf per woofer was too small to tune to down around 30-32Hz, so I ruled that option out. Would it work well?

And that's 3ft at best, if I have my calc's right. I have a max internal dimension of 14"x14"x33.5" for the entire box, which is 3.79cuf. The port I was using with my calc's was tuned to 32Hz, and was 2.5"x14"x24", which is .5cuf, and then take away woofer displacement and any bracing, and I have about 3cuf, if not a little less. Is my math right, or is the port completely off? Also, would it be better to use 2 smaller ports on each side of the box firing towards the trunk or one bigger one?

There are so many variables! Sorry about all the questions. Just trying to learn.

First thing first.... Quit over thinking.

I make my internal chamber 3cu then drop subs in. As far as tuning you can do as you like and yes it will do well lol

That was an option as well, 2 12's, but I figured 1.5cuf per woofer was too small to tune to down around 30-32Hz, so I ruled that option out. Would it work well?
And that's 3ft at best, if I have my calc's right. I have a max internal dimension of 14"x14"x33.5" for the entire box, which is 3.79cuf. The port I was using with my calc's was tuned to 32Hz, and was 2.5"x14"x24", which is .5cuf, and then take away woofer displacement and any bracing, and I have about 3cuf, if not a little less. Is my math right, or is the port completely off? Also, would it be better to use 2 smaller ports on each side of the box firing towards the trunk or one bigger one?

There are so many variables! Sorry about all the questions. Just trying to learn.
The lower you tune, the smaller the port should be. DC recommends 1.5cbft for the lvl 3 12". Do exactly what Thor said and call it a day.

First thing first.... Quit over thinking.

I make my internal chamber 3cu then drop subs in. As far as tuning you can do as you like and yes it will do well lol
I'm just trying to get it right. But, it is only one box. Can't matter too much.

But if you say they'll work well in 3cu I'll roll with that. I'll start another thread under enclosure design for that. I have questions there as well.

Thor, I'll be sending you a PM.

Edit: Thor, that PM will come as soon as you clear your box.

So I have modeled it in WinISD, and that graph looks horrible for that small of a box. My peak is up at 53Hz, and I'm reaching 0dB at 35Hz. To me that seems much more like a SPL-oriented box than I intended. I know you have said that I am over-thinking it, and it's very possible, but everything I have read on here says that to orient a box towards SQ you will want a bigger box. ~1.5ft per sub is very small for a ported 12".

Barring any complete stupidity on my part, which is entirely possible, I'm back to the 2 10" vs. 1 better 12" debate.

Can you do a ported 15"? If you have the height to fit itand 3 cubic feet I can probably end your search right now if your willling to buy used. Send me a PM if your interested.. If you a $600 budget I would go with 2 10's over 1 12. 600 on a single twelve is def into the realm of diminishing returns.

If you want true sq and full range through the spectram then I would recommend a sealed enclosure. If your modeling for peaks etc.. no ported box will do what you want. lol

Tune box according to what you want. Even if it seems like your going against the parameters set.

What every box calculater on the planet lacks is the ability to know how it will react in your vehicle. Same box in different vehicles will perform differently. Theres alot to go into there lol

I almost NEVER suggest DC subs...but 2 lvl 3 10s will do what you need. Icons are good subs as well, better then the lvl 3, but for what you want, the lvl3 10s will do it. You put those 2 lvl3 12s in 3cu and I can assure you it will be peaky. I'll run ONE 12 sub in 3cu. If you give the lvl 3s suitable space, they will play nice and linear, and still have output that trumps RF offerings

I have decided on going with 2 10's. There are 3 choices that I am thinking about:

- DC Audio Level 3 10"

- PSI Platform 1 10"

- SSA Icon 10"

I hear you guys about the recommendations on DC. I'm not looking to buy until probably beginning of next month, so that will give me time to hopefully get some more opinions. From what I was reading on here, a year or two ago PSI was having issues with their soft parts. Has this been resolved? Would anyone where I could find T/S parameters for a Platform 1 10"?

Which would you go with, and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.