best mids for 60 hz hpf

wp7456
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
orlando
I want a nice component set that can get low to complement my 15" Q. I want to set the hpf to 60 hz, so I can leave my lpf for my sub at 60 hz. Any specific 6.5" components for under $130 or so that sound great around 60 hz? I will amp them and will get whatever amp is needed, probably from 60 to 100 watts rms. I'll also sound deaden the door.

I've tried to get all my components I've owned (Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5", OZ Matrix 180cs and lots of CDTs) to play lower than 200hz, and it just depends on the door. I've gotten much better response out of my VW GTi than any other car I've installed on... and bass response out my my Nissans without special (sealed) kickpanels seems non-existant in comparison.

So my solution (when I used to run a Cerwin Vega IT 15 in my SQ system) was to run two CDT EF-8's. I put them in .5ft^3 boxes under the dash, and crossed my 6.5's somewhere around 220hz IIRC. You can get away with 5.25" mids if you cross em that high. The ef8's are cheap too, I think I ended up getting a pair brand new for $100 or so.

So get some decent components (I recommend CDT's with the CL62 mid, SatNet560, and the TW26 tweets - should be around $250) if you can give em more than 50w clean rms, and some very responsive 8's to fill in.

Crossovers become important (people with 4way setups almost always run active), but can be done passively... I didnt worry about subsonics/etc on the 8's because they were in sealed box, but i did run something for the top (don't remember exactly what i used).

I know that's a little more than your $200 number, but to be honest, you won't be happy with a 15" and 6.5" components. Too big a gap.

my SDX7's can cross pretty low. i keep then at 80 hz with a 24 db slope. they'd go lower, but my sub plays relatively high. they run about 100 a piece though.

and too big a gap between a 15 and 6.5s? wtf? i run 7 inch mids with a ported 18 and they blend just fine.

Beleive it or not, RSD's sound fantastic crossed over @ 63 hz. Some of the best midbass I've heard from such a very affordable speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.